johs

driving to Dallas

7 posts in this topic

Columbia Bridge, 1 hr N of Laredo

Second vote for Columbia.. Have crossed there the last 10 years, much quicker than Laredo.

t

I will be happy to send you my turn by turn log if you are traveling from Ajijic to the border. Just PM me with your email address.

6 hours ago, tomgates said:

Columbia Bridge, 1 hr N of Laredo

The Colombia crossing is on the western outskirts of Laredo but surely not an hour. If one were at the departure from 85 onto Highway 2 to Colombia, it is about 35 minutes. From that same spot but on into N. Laredo and crossing at Bridge 2, it's about 25 minutes.

The kicker is of course the speed with which one can cross through US Customs out there vs. Bridge 2 and then proceed on north towards San Antonio. But if one needs to go into Laredo for some reason, it's a backtrack from out there at Colombia.

Crossing later in the day, there was only one car ahead of us going into the US and only one ahead on the return. It is open until Midnight I think but opens at 8am in the morning.

It's a 30+ minute drive back to Laredo for those spending the night in one of the exit 3 or 4 hotels. If you end the day in Laredo, Columbia doesn't make sense unless you spend an hour or more on Bridge 2.

If you continue to San Antonio then the Laredo bypass to I35 makes sense.

Using the new roads and heading north via AGS, Zacatecas and around western Saltillo, we can normally be in the hotel in Laredo in under 12 hours.