Chapala.com Webboard

Traveling to Laredo

VISA FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENTS -  as of 2015 - check for updates

This type of visa is for you if:

You are traveling to Mexico for retirement, investments, professional activities, technical activities, artistic activities, scientific activities, and sport activities or as a minister of religion

You will be in Mexico more than 180 days

You don´t have a work authorization

Requirements:

Apply at this Consulate General in person

You must schedule an appointment.

Fill out the Application form, English or Español.  English is accepted.

English:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/mcallen/images/stories/PDF/visas/visaing.pdf

Spanish:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/laredo/images/stories/docs/visas/sol_visa_esp.pdf

Documentation needed:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/mcallen/index.php/services

Valid passport in original and one photocopy of the pages containing personal information, photograph of bearer and expiration date/extensions

Valid US visa for multiple entries and one photocopy (non-U.S. persons)

Valid I-94 and/or I-20 or J-1 or I-797A Form in original and one photocopy (non-U.S. persons)

One photo passport size, no glasses (must be studio portrait)

Original financial records (last twelve months of your bank statements in US Dollars with at least ---- US dollars, or last twelve months of pay stubs, employment letter specifying your position and salary and the last twelve months of international credit card statements with at least 1500.00 US Dollars. You can also submit official documents proving the ownership of a property/company/business) and one photocopy of them or a yearly social security statement

4 hours ago, jhark said:

VISA FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENTS -  as of 2015 - check for updates

This type of visa is for you if:

You are traveling to Mexico for retirement, investments, professional activities, technical activities, artistic activities, scientific activities, and sport activities or as a minister of religion

You will be in Mexico more than 180 days

You don´t have a work authorization

Requirements:

Apply at this Consulate General in person

You must schedule an appointment.

Fill out the Application form, English or Español.  English is accepted.

English:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/mcallen/images/stories/PDF/visas/visaing.pdf

Spanish:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/laredo/images/stories/docs/visas/sol_visa_esp.pdf

Documentation needed:  http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/mcallen/index.php/services

Valid passport in original and one photocopy of the pages containing personal information, photograph of bearer and expiration date/extensions

Valid US visa for multiple entries and one photocopy (non-U.S. persons)

Valid I-94 and/or I-20 or J-1 or I-797A Form in original and one photocopy (non-U.S. persons)

One photo passport size, no glasses (must be studio portrait)

Original financial records (last twelve months of your bank statements in US Dollars with at least ---- US dollars, or last twelve months of pay stubs, employment letter specifying your position and salary and the last twelve months of international credit card statements with at least 1500.00 US Dollars. You can also submit official documents proving the ownership of a property/company/business) and one photocopy of them or a yearly social security statement

That is so out of date. Once a year the Mexican Goverment updates the requirements for temporal and resident visa's. 

There are 2 basic routes:  Either stay over in Matehuala, if you want 2 6 hour drives, or in Saltillo, if you want one 8 hour and one 4 hour drive.  There are hotels at all price ranges in either city and lots of people on this board can offer you suggestions. Do you have animals with you?

Stick to the toll roads as much as possible.  Have your cash handy.  

We like to cross at Colombia bridge as it isn't as busy.  

I don't know what else you might want to know, but you can look up almost any question about that trip on this board, and someone has covered it at some time.  Safe Travels!

The Columbia crossing will take you far from Laredo where the Mexican Consulate is located. It you are a good driver you can make it across the border in one 11 hour drive. I can send you a turn by turn log if you PM me your email address. The consulate in Laredo is most efficent and you will be in and out in 2 hours with your papers in hand. They are very kind to work with. It is a day/night change over working eith the local Migra here. They open at 08:00 to 17:00. Go in and get a number or else the guard will direct you to a chair and the pople move up chair by chair to the front. Gaurd will ask you your business just tell him temporal permit. They will let you in 10 or 15 minutes before 08:00.  We stay  at the new Ramada highrise with parking garage or north at the San Isidro Best Western. There is also a Redroof Inn quite close on Caulder west of IH-35 exit 3.

Address: 1612 Farragut St, Laredo, TX 78040, USA

Phone:+1 956-723-6369

Get a Garmin GPS that has lifetime map updates and has maps of "North America" pre-loaded. www.thegpsstore.com is a good store and call them and make sure the maps are of all North America including Mexico. Put Matehuala as your first destination out of the border so you don't get the Zacatecas route and once near matehuala, put Ajijic as your destination. If you hit Columbia Bridge at 8am when they open, you should be here by 7pm, stopping only for gas and restroom.

43 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Get a Garmin GPS that has lifetime map updates and has maps of "North America" pre-loaded. www.thegpsstore.com is a good store and call them and make sure the maps are of all North America including Mexico. Put Matehuala as your first destination out of the border so you don't get the Zacatecas route and once near matehuala, put Ajijic as your destination. If you hit Columbia Bridge at 8am when they open, you should be here by 7pm, stopping only for gas and restroom.

The Zacatecas/Aquacalientes route is approximately 100 kilometers (1 hour) shorter.

Archived