Chapala.com Webboard

Car tracking sTicker

Kyle

28 minutes ago, cedros said:

What exactly are you referring to?

It is a new sticker that is in the front window of cars that police can use to track the car if stolen.  I have seen it on some cars recently and wonder if it is a required stucker or just being put on all new Mexican cars 

I can't see this caper lasting long - sure it sounds good to start with, then it will be misused by criminals, political cronies (as in "Why was Senator ... parked in a no tell motel last friday night?". I am surprised the human rights advocates are not on top of this, government secretly tracking its citizens is usually a big no no in most democratic countries. Tracking of stolen vehicles in Mexico, usually expensive vehicles or cargo trucks, is already well in place with satellite "Low Jack" systems. I am sure they are many times more effective than this technology.

"Human rights, government tracking, no no in most democratic countries" through out other democratic exist traffic cameras which are used for surveillance by many government and private factions -- much more intrusive the car sticker described don't ya think? 

11 hours ago, tomgates said:

These stickers are on new cars since when I don't really know. We have a 2016 and it is on ours. It isn't the kind of thing you have to have. 

Ditto for my 2015 made-in-Mexico vehicle. FYI asked the dealer and they said DO NOT REMOVE!!!

My 2011 car has one, they just show car was originally legally imported for national sales. 

Archived