Chapala.com Webboard

Positive experience at Walmart

There have been several comments about bad chicken at Walmart lately and wanted to share that I bought a whole chicken there today and got home and opened it up to prep it for cooking and it smelled very foul.(Double plastic wrapped... I could not detect it in the store.) 

I took it back to Walmart with the receipt and the nice man at the exit door (where you check your backpack or get a tag for returned water bottles) put a tag on my bag and I went to the Customer Service Counter where I showed my receipt and set the bag with the chicken in it (and its original plastic wrapping -- that I had just purchased 40 minutes prior.)

The gal could smell it from where she was standing and called the meat department manager who got a comparably sized fresh chicken, wrapped it and brought it to the front, where I opened in, smelled it and thanked them. They asked me to hold on a minute and refunded all my money for the spoiled chicken, too.

18 minutes ago, Aquaponicsman said:

There have been several comments about bad chicken at Walmart lately and wanted to share that I bought a whole chicken there today and got home and opened it up to prep it for cooking and it smelled very foul.(Double plastic wrapped... I could not detect it in the store.) 

I took it back to Walmart with the receipt and the nice man at the exit door (where you check your backpack or get a tag for returned water bottles) put a tag on my bag and I went to the Customer Service Counter where I showed my receipt and set the bag with the chicken in it (and its original plastic wrapping -- that I had just purchased 40 minutes prior.)

The gal could smell it from where she was standing and called the meat department manager who got a comparably sized fresh chicken, wrapped it and brought it to the front, where I opened in, smelled it and thanked them. They asked me to hold on a minute and refunded all my money for the spoiled chicken, too.

I always buy my meat there but the last two times the thick cut pork chops were not tender.I will no longer buy my meat there. And after the last few postings i would not want to chance the chicken. Tony's will be my new place

I must say that when I was in Wal-Mart yesterday...early, about 8:30 am...I have never seen the store looking so good!  The shelves were well stocked and the merchandise all faced, the floors were spotless, no pallets in the aisles...just a dream.  Let's hope they keep it up!

And is he the one putting pressure on the meat department workers to throw out less bad chicken? Watch out next for rotisserie chicken.

You give them a quota and they will meet it. Human nature and they probably won't get fired for a few customer complaints.

I buy all my chicken at Puritan Poultry. I have always been happy and the customer service is great.

I'm of the opinion, and it is just an opinion, that the Walmart here does not make much profit. The same as Steren. These are "foot in the door" locations, hoping that someday population and customers will grow, and potential competitors are scared off. What does that mean to us? Well any manager who wants to get ahead in the chain is doomed here, so they try to bail as soon as possible, or the store gets stuck with "problem" managers. I have also heard that the Walmart here pays very little, and based on seeing the large numbers of employees arriving ten minutes  to an half hour late, I would suspect they have a hard time boosting employee morale, and corporate spirit.

They pay poorly as confirmed by a Mexican friend of ours who used to work there.  However, the way this place packs them in I can't imagine how it couldn't be pretty profitable.

Clearly there's some reason why the managers turn over so rapidly there.

I can't see the local Walmart "packing them in". I see a huge parking lot, at best 1/3 full. I see lines of (I believe six) cash registers but lucky if 2 are open. People have commented previously that the Walmarts in Guadalajara are much better managed, staffed and stocked. I have only been to the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta, and it is many times more busy than Chapala, at nearly any time of the day. Mind you they get a lot of cruise ship passengers smuggling cheap liquor aboard the ships. Never could figure that out, a day trip to Puerto Vallarta, and they want to spend half of it in a Walmart store<_<. They should be hanging at the beach with Pappysmarket buying him cheap beer.

If you lived closer you would drive by it more often and see the full parking lot on the weekend afternoons plus bus loads of people.  Not sure where they come from but some of the local "chicken buses" appear to do double duty as Walmart shuttles.

We avoid those times.  Go early and the place is always quiet, even on the weekends.  Afternoons are a different story.  Tuesdays pretty busy too.

The WalMarts in GDL are bigger.  I appreciate we have one and the competition between it and Soriana has been good for the locals.  The latter cleaned up and improved a lot after WalMart opened.  We're happy to have the both of them.  Going to GDL for anything is a pain in the neck, the traffic seems to get worse there by the week.  

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I can't see the local Walmart "packing them in". I see a huge parking lot, at best 1/3 full. I see lines of (I believe six) cash registers but lucky if 2 are open. People have commented previously that the Walmarts in Guadalajara are much better managed, staffed and stocked. I have only been to the Walmart in Puerto Vallarta, and it is many times more busy than Chapala, at nearly any time of the day. Mind you they get a lot of cruise ship passengers smuggling cheap liquor aboard the ships. Never could figure that out, a day trip to Puerto Vallarta, and they want to spend half of it in a Walmart store<_<. They should be hanging at the beach with Pappysmarket buying him cheap beer.

Nice thought Chillin that would work. We are also amazed at how many cruise shippers we see in there. Many are buying suntan products but also many just comparing prices. Duh! Find Pappy, buy beer and repeat as needed. We could take em to some beaches under the radar.

I agree that the WalMart here is just a dongle on the end of the chain, last to be considered by the higher-ups for anything. Smaller inventory, and they don't even seem to be on the main corporate computer setup. For sure, you head into Guad, you see a huge difference. Soriana is the dinky end-of-the-liner too, but they seem to have a better grasp.

I wonder how many folks are like me?  I had such poor experiences in the first year that Walmart was open that it became my store of last resort.  It's the LAST place I will go to find something,   Their specialty is not restocking.  Find something you like and it's gone soon and not restocked.  It's also a sloppy mess;  products are not faced up and often have an incorrect price in front of them.  e.g. wine and liquor.  The place is a mess.  It matters not a whit to me that I might save a few pesos in the event the actually have what I'm seeking.  It's simply not worth the time and trouble.  The chicken!  OMG, have you ever noticed how orange it is?  Yuck.  YMMV

" The color of a chicken’s skin, which can range from white to yellow, is directly related to the chicken’s diet and not necessarily an indicator of quality."

In Canada some years back, one grocery chain had a big push on for very yellow, almost orange chicken skin, which they sourced from the same provider as the national  and wildly popular chain called Swiss Chalet. The claim was that the yellower the chicken, the more natural and the less-stressed the bird, with a much higher fat content in the skin. It may have been just marketing, but to me it actually did provide a notably better taste.

I was glad to read this and get the heads up about chicken. I rarely buy much there, but once in a great while, if I'm in there for the one lonely item I came for, I grab a roasted chicken to go and always had good ones in the past. But yes, if the place has a reputation for bad handling of chicken, it could easy be sitting there roasted for your food poisoning experience just waiting to happen. 

No more roastados for me.

I believe the add coloring to their chicken. You can see red pockets and red juice inside the package. I complained many times and they say that they don't. Others say that they add natural coloring because customers prefer it to white chickens, other say it's that Jamaica Sorrel or whatever. Who is right? It does not look too appetizing to me.

33 minutes ago, wanderer said:

marigold flowers are a part of the chicken feed here, therefore the color. !!!!!!! check it out.

When we lived in Chile, they grew lots of marigolds which were dried and sent to Germany to be added to feed and to provide yellow chickens there.  We were told the Germans liked their chickens to be yellow.

Archived