Chapala.com Webboard

Why new restaurants at Lakeside do not succeed

JayBearII

It's not because the restauraants are new! Lots of people want to try a new place, but...potential patrons have to be aware of it. That means one needs: a website, a Trip Advisor post with adequate directions, the online forums AND Facebook to announce new hours, days, menu items and special events. Also,  having certain amenities is desirable: clean restrooms with towels, TP and soap; good parking (meaning paved, not dirt blowing in the wind); knowledgeable waiters who will great you promptly, take a drink order, distribute menus, and check back often for orders. 

I rely on locals' reports re new restaurants.  Why would anyone need to consult Facebook or Trip Advisor?  As far as parking is concerned, Ajijic Tango is consistently one of the most popular places in town and parking is horrendous. (What parking?).  IMO, the FOOD is the main reason favorable word about a new restaurant gets out.  Everything else is secondary and word of mouth is still the best form of advertising.

I believe the primary reason restaurants don't succeed beyond a month or two is under-capitalization.  The owner should have several months of operating expenses put away and not take anything out of the business for for several months.  But if the owner is relying on a cash draw for his own living expenses from the first day's sales, he won't make it. 

7 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

NoB thinking vs: Mexican thinking, in many cases.

Please explain what post you are referring to and/or what point you are trying to make.

7 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Are you responding to a post above?  What point are you trying to make?

15 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

I think this applies when the new restaurant is targeting the foreign market. If that is who you are aiming for with your menu and prices you need NOB thinking about advertising, service, hours,  and consistency. 

58 minutes ago, Xena said:

I think this applies when the new restaurant is targeting the foreign market. If that is who you are aiming for with your menu and prices you need NOB thinking about advertising, service, hours,  and consistency. 

Especially hours.  It is frustrating to decide on having lunch at a restaurant and finding that the door is closed during posted "open" hours with no note of explanation in the window.  Then there's consistency:  You've found a delicious item and tell others about it.  They try it and it isn't so.  Hmmmm.

I remember many years ago going to a restaurant around 12:15 and the doors were open. I asked a waiter esta abierto?  Si. We were the only ones in there and after 10 minutes of nobody asking about a drink I asked hay servicio? A la una was the response. In discussing this with our Mexican friends I learned that we were welcome to come in with food and drinks and use their table, bathroom and whatever until they began service at 1:00. So what I thought was rudeness was actually them trying to be polite. I now ask hay servicio instead of asking if they are open.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:21 PM, JayBearII said:

It's not because the restauraants are new! Lots of people want to try a new place, but...potential patrons have to be aware of it. That means one needs: a website, a Trip Advisor post with adequate directions, the online forums AND Facebook to announce new hours, days, menu items and special events. Also,  having certain amenities is desirable: clean restrooms with towels, TP and soap; good parking (meaning paved, not dirt blowing in the wind); knowledgeable waiters who will great you promptly, take a drink order, distribute menus, and check back often for orders. 

If that is the criteria, how do you explain Roberto's ? lol

Amazes me but when we drove by there on Sunday the place was obviously packed.

I think Yo1 offered the best explanation.  That plus they open up before they have their act together with both food and wait staff.  

I still have yet to go anyplace in Mexico that has as many restaurants per capita as this one does, let alone the turnover.  It is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 9:13 AM, Mainecoons said:

Amazes me but when we drove by there on Sunday the place was obviously packed.

I think Yo1 offered the best explanation.  That plus they open up before they have their act together with both food and wait staff.  

I still have yet to go anyplace in Mexico that has as many restaurants per capita as this one does, let alone the turnover.  It is amazing.

Really? Tiny Sayulita must have about 300 restaurants, taco stands, sandwich shops, etc. A friend said she figured out the national sport of Mexico isn't soccer, cockfighting, or bullfighting, it's EATING.

18 hours ago, gringal said:

There is an announcement in today's Guadalajara Reported about the new ownership of Roberto's.

Per the ad......same chef, same menu, same staff.  Same old same old. 

Was hoping for something a bit more interesting.  

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Per the ad......same chef, same menu, same staff.  Same old same old. 

Was hoping for something a bit more interesting.  

"Interesting" wasn't exactly the problem.  The ingredients were.  Maybe things will change and it will be worth giving it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone who posted a comment here actually owned and run a restaurant including doing the cooking and the front greeting/waiting on table?

I have opened a number of restaurants in my life, all have been successful from the beginning

Richards Restaurant in Chapala was our "Swan Song" restaurant.  Wildly successful from the first day, Terrible location but plenty of parking which I think is very important but there you go, look at Tango

Unfortunately we had to close Richards because of ill health.  The ONLY factor we didn't put in.  Getting old is hard to plan for

I could write a book on opening a successful small owner/operator restaurants.  SO many ways to fail. So hard to succeed.  Good for Hugh that he is doing a decent job there

Rosy the Chef  

Hey, Rosy, long time. Hope you are doing well. Hugh does very well and seems to enjoy it. But one does not need to own a restaurant to understand the difficulties and, more importantly as you did, the priorities.

Heidi and I opened a couple of restaurants locally and I think the reason that they did fairly well is that we were very consistant and our menu was un-like any others in town. To me, with a few exceptions, the menus in most restaurants are the same. Some just prepare the food better than others! 

Rick is too humble, but he is correct, with the addition of: a welcoming host, an owner who just "gets it", and an excellent tasting variety of food. And responsiveness. I once mentioned on this board that my fries were on the shy side, and he immediately showered me with more fries.

I think a big mistake most of them make is having menus that are way too long for them to be able to provide quality and value.  And I agree with Rick, too much of the same thing being offered.  Specialize more and focus on doing fewer attractive foods well.

The local restaurant scene impresses me as "many are called but few are chosen." :)

Archived