Chapala.com Webboard

Bad Chicken at Wal-mart

Zeb

We have purchased two chickens from Wal-mart, different days.  When we opened the package, the bad smell was overwhelming on both packages.  Inedible.  Just letting everyone know to check what you buy from them poultry wise.

Always, always check dates on everything you buy in Mexico. That's no guarantee and Zeb may have been a total victim of bad chicken being packed anyway. But taking expired items off the shelf doesn't seem to happen here, especially around Easter.

I love to support the local vendors and have tried to do so here in PV. Hopefully better in Chapala but here the local chickens are tougher than shoe leather.

I bought chicken yesterday at WM and checked the date sticker that stated 9-July-17. However, I failed to notice that the date sticker under the one I checked, was dated 5-July-17. So, Walmart is 're-stickering' their chicken, and I would assume their other meats as well. Of course 're-stickering' is easier then re-packaging.  Shame on Walmart, I'll purchase my meats elsewhere.

Second Puritan Poultry. Besides, parking there is easy, whereas some other good sources of chicken are a parking challenge, especially now.

I admit to being part of the gringo hordes who shop at the evil Walmart, so beat me with a limp fettucine.  Tip:  I don't buy their packaged meats, especially the ground meat.  I buy it from the butcher area case and it's better, IMHO.  I have bought the packaged burger in the past, only to discover that the bright red on the outside gives way to gray on the inside layer.  A little bloody addition, perhaps?

4 hours ago, johnnyg said:

I bought chicken yesterday at WM and checked the date sticker that stated 9-July-17. However, I failed to notice that the date sticker under the one I checked, was dated 5-July-17. So, Walmart is 're-stickering' their chicken, and I would assume their other meats as well. Of course 're-stickering' is easier then re-packaging.  Shame on Walmart, I'll purchase my meats elsewhere.

I do not understand your best before dates.  I cannot believe chicken would last until July.   I must say I have watched their meat counter as a guy had stacks of packaged chicken on the counter he was opening & repackaging.  Have also had bad chicken from Soriano.  Prefer Gordo or Puritan.

I've never had a problem with the chicken from Walmart. I would never buy chicken at the hole in the wall places. Who knows where it has been or how long it has been sitting around.

Archived