Chapala.com Webboard

trying to keep cool

Denise

On 4/10/2017 at 8:51 AM, gringal said:

Since whole house air conditioning is a real rarity in these parts and would break the budget on electric bills, I've found that having at least one room as a refuge from the heat makes life from April to the rains more comfortable:  If you own the house, you can install a mini-split air conditioner, available from Electro Venta and others.  That store is on the Carreterra on the Lakeside in Riberas.  I think Tio Sams on the Libramento, past the shopping mall, also has cooling units.  

Do you know if Electroventa or Tio Sams will install the mini split? Also, I would be taking the bus (vehicle is in the shop).  Can you tell me where the closest stop or a landmark is for each of these places? Thanks.

Denise, Friend is selling this unit for $1800p.

Air Conditioner is a window unit:
    SAMSUNG   -   Silver Nang-Health System
    Model Number AW12PKAC
Size 1’ 8”  x  1’ 8 1/2”.
Excellent condition. Contact Doug 765-4375

20 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Do you know if Electroventa or Tio Sams will install the mini split? Also, I would be taking the bus (vehicle is in the shop).  Can you tell me where the closest stop or a landmark is for each of these places? Thanks.

Yes, either place will install.  I used ElectroVenta.  They'll bring the unit to your house.  Tio Sams is up the hill on the Libramento past the Laguna Shopping center.  I don't know what the stop is for Electroventa, but the driver will probably know.  It's in Riberas on the Carreterra and is very visible.

The Mirage model mini-split I have is very quiet and efficient.  I've had it for at least 5 years now.  Once had Electroventa do a  repair on it.  They have technicians who work on all the appliances they sell.

Ceiling fans won't do much because the heat is up high.  A floor fan helps much more.

I have a flat roof and a mirador up there.  Just as the sun sets, I have a sprinker that I run for about an hour.  It takes the heat off the roof and keeps the inside cooler.

We're keeping our house quite comfortable, hot and cool seasons, with passive solar management and a few fans/heat sources.  Right now, we open the house wide up at night: and at sunrise I close all windows and pull the blinds/curtains/drapes, which we have anywhere that the sun streams in (including a pair of thermal drapes for our double entry doors, which are an incredible west-facing hotspot in the afternoons).  

In "winter" aka cool weather, we do the reverse.  Windows and window coverings wide open during the day, and closed tight after the sun goes down.  The tile, brick and stucco construction really helps in absorbing cool or hot air, depending on the season.

We supplement with ceiling or floor fans, and chimeneas / room heaters, depending on the season.  And it helps inmeasurably that we are on a ridgeline with lots of breezes, and lost of sunshine.  Such a difference from life NOB in New Jersey!  Where we were trapped indoors wth incredibly high electric/oil furnace bills, for suumer air conditioning and winter heating.  

Archived