Chapala.com Webboard

Tourist visas on flights to Mexico

Recently flew to San Jose del Cabo, Baja Sur (SJD) and was told by the air hostess that tourist cards were available from the immigration officials and that Mexico does not provide them (American Airlines) with tourist cards. I've flown to Mexico many times in the past and have always filled out the tourist card and customs declaration in-flight. There were a few immigration people handing these out in an extremely chaotic, crowded arrivals hall and everyone, including myself, was trying to fill out the forms whilst moving in the long lines.

Is this the new norm for all flights to Mexico from the US?

It's up to Mexico to give the cards to the airlines. Sometimes the airlines run out. We get 6-10 at a time here in Mexico from immigration and keep them at home so we have them. Same with Mexican customs forms. Just in case the airlines don't have them. Living in Mexico we fill them out before we get to the airport. It's a time saver when you have a 6am flight 

I have had this happen well before any election when the INM agent threw out the part I needed to get back in.  I was able to get another one at the airport.

It must depend on the airline ax I havenevef been on a Volaris or Alaska flight that didn't hand out the FMM and customs forms during the flight.  My most recent flight was less then two weeks ago on Volaris from San Jose California to GDL.  

As a permanent resident I always take the FMM form when it is handed out on the flight to Mexico so that the next time I leave the country I can have the form filled out before even going to the airport in order to not to have to fill it out at the INM window before preceding to the airlines counter to check in.

By the way, Aeromexico will start flying direct flights between GDL and San Jose in July.  Alaska and Volaris already fly this route, connecting Silicone Valley U.S. with Silicone Valley MX.  More choices to get to the Bay Area.

Archived