Chapala.com Webboard

Bohemia beer getting harder ton find?

Kevin K

Don't know how widespread this is but the Oxxo stores in Chapala (and I presume everywhere else?) have summarily stopped carrying both the light and dark Bohemia beers and have replaced them with multiple facings of Tecate, Sol, Indio and Heineken. 

It sure seems short-sighted given that Bohemia and the seasonal Noche Buena are generally regarded as the best of the Mexican mass-market beers. I'm curious if any other beer lovers out there have read anything about this. 

Used to you had to purchase Bohemia at speciality liquor stores in Texas. Now Estrella, Bohemia, Victoria, Indio, and Modela are everywhere in Central Texas. 

Corona is $8.99 a six pack and the afore mentioned are $9.99 or more depending on where you purchase it.

Many restaurants have Modela and Bohemia on tap. The mega mug happy hour price is $2.99 and the small mug is $1.99. Domestic beer on tap is running $1.00 for small mug and $2.00 for mega mug.

Michaladas are $3.00 happy hour price.

It appears they're sending it to Texas! 

Year before last I purchased Noche Buena for $9.99 a six pack.

Here's a price comparison for my area. Mexican beer sells extremely well here. I assume they make more money in the U.S. Also its heavily marketed and the grocery store periodically run sales.

Ha ha, we can sit under a shady cover in PV and have our feet in the sand and enjoy a bucket of 6 cold Pacificos or Coronas for the outrageous price of $100 pesos. $5.50 US. Not the small bottles either. Great chicken fajitas, enough for 2, with guacamole and salsa for 160 pesitos. Langosta Loca, right on the Pacific ocean.

I buy light and dark Bohemia (and Stella) at Walmart, reasonably priced. Oxxo are stocking the beers brewed and sold by the dominant seller in Mexico, and although Bohemia and Stella are now made, under license, by this same conglomerate, they have limited space so choose accordingly. Hope this helps.

Definitely a shortage of Bohemia Oscura, which is my fav. Have heard this is not going to be available. CRY! I do like dark beer!!!

Just bought 2 x 24 cases from Paz today - No problem. Also 711/Pemex on the carretera, just at the start to the highway to Guadalajara has some. I notice, maybe it is the time of year, but local workers, drivers, etc seem to prefer quantity over quality, they also seem to prefer cans. Nothing like a cold beer after a hot day at work. In Puerto Vallarta, Many seemed to like the "Ballenos" whales, which are about 1 liter in size, often consumed at comida break. So maybe the beer market changes with the seasons.

Scored some today. Supplies seem to dry up at Easter. Even Negro Modelo, which I started drinking when I was in the US 12+ years ago--geez, you'd think us regular customers would be kept supplied. Hey, there's a concept for the older gringo trade--home delivery of beer!

Archived