Chapala.com Webboard

No loo lids?

There is a place in Guad that makes fiberglas ones that look exactly like the real McCoy---- and they can match any color too!  Have used them for a green lid and a blue lid....... on the older tanks that are WAY bigger than the new ones.  S.O.S. Piezas Sueltas.  01-33-3658-1219  Alejandro was "the man" back in 2012 0r 13. Now??

They are (were?) on the NW corner of Niños Heroes and Colon ---- just a few blocks west of the Walmart near the old bus station. Another reference point is Surtidor del Tapicero -- NE corner of Colon and NH. Took them my broken top as a size guide.... but if you don't have it, making a traced outline should do the trick.

By the way, a while after having lids made, one of our tanks cracked top to bottom. Took that in and they fibreglassed the entire interior --- good as new 4 years and counting!

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Thanks. The cost and headache of installing a new toilet far outweighs any benefit. Will get a nice piece of finished wood and make it a lid-shelf.

A typical Mexican solution.  You are going native on us.........

A tube of silicone adhesive will hold the old pieces together.  It's holding my pedestal table base together.  (I didn't have a piece of wood).  Make sure it is "adhesive", there is a difference

• 2 weeks later...

Not only are there no lids, but the selection of toilets is horrendous. Ugly colours, ugly ceramic piping on the sides, over-priced for basic units... . Went onto Amazon, and can find a ton of nifty replacement lids: some original style, but many like bamboo trays with edges for things you might put there, and inexpensive.

I had fun with that search...... 20 pages of toilet tank lids. I stopped at the bottom of page 4 with the ad

"Poo-Pourri Before-You-Go Toilet Spray 2-Ounce Bottle, Original Citrus Scent". That cracked me up (not referring to your toilet tank lid) and I decided to have another coffee.

Amazon is a wonderful way to daydream.

WE too had a brand new TANK crack...a few days after installing....due to an accident.   So at Home Depot in GDL  found we could not just replace the tank part, bought a whole new 2nd toilet...in less than a week!!!   The lids are sold seperately.  Not as expensive as NOB we found for a whole new toilet.  Installing was cheap too.      Good Luck...........

The problem with Mexican toilets is that there are/were so many different manufacturers. We have three toilets in our house, and this is a forty year old house, each made by different manufacturers - all seem to be defunct now. So when you need new floats, etc, all that is available is the generic China made stuff from "Casa de Plomeros". It's all a frustration. Better to buy a new toilet. I am surprised that the low flush water toilets (one button for yellow, two buttons for brown) are so popular here. Up in Vancouver they are the law, but as soon as the inspector  signs off, off to the big flush "vintage" toilets, wood burning fireplaces, bathroom basins without drains (stone, etc.). Us humans want to swirl down the drain just like the rest of the universe.

Hi Computer Guy...yes our manager did at the Home Depot when she went to get us the new 2nd toilet...and called us about the prices of the lids as they varied...then got one that would fit the new high rise toilet...we had the older lower ones...and one was cracked at the base...so decided to get two new ones....so totalling 3 in one week!!!  The higher ones are much easier for we old ones....      Check it out............

Archived