Chapala.com Webboard

Info about FMM

RickS

If one has/is Permanente and wishes to leave Mexico under what circumstances should/must they fill out an FMM?  Is it different if traveling by air or by land?  What is leaving by land and returning by air? 

I'm not looking for 'speculation' but rather "just the facts, M'am".

Gracias

All foreigners must fill out the FMM form, for non tourists the form is used for statistical purposes and should not be used to change status or cancel one as the back of the very form says that although immigration fails to read that part and cancels people who present the form entering and dont show their RT or RP card and check them in as a tourist.  I have a case on appeal about that, we shall see how it goes. 

So if you have a TVIP and FMM linked to 180 days, and you want to fly out of the country, what about this scenario:  At the airport you tell Immigration you forgot your FMM.  Since you cannot fly out of Mexico without a FMM, immigration sells you a new FMM for 500 pesos and now you fly out.  

The original FMM card still had a couple of months left on it before the 180 day expiration.  The spouse drives the Foreign plated vehicle to the states and cancels the TVIP at the border.  Will the deposit be refunded because the TVIP is linked to the original FMM?  

Kiko, it would depend on what color the vehicle is I think. :D

Seriously, I think that no one here is going to know what the answer is to this very specific case. At least I would not rely on any answer given. Mexico is so 'goosey' with agents doing different things at different places with the same criteria presented that one would be wise to not 'go for it' even if someone said they had done it! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017 at 5:01 PM, Kiko said:

So if you have a TVIP and FMM linked to 180 days, and you want to fly out of the country, what about this scenario:  At the airport you tell Immigration you forgot your FMM.  Since you cannot fly out of Mexico without a FMM, immigration sells you a new FMM for 500 pesos and now you fly out.  

The original FMM card still had a couple of months left on it before the 180 day expiration.  The spouse drives the Foreign plated vehicle to the states and cancels the TVIP at the border.  Will the deposit be refunded because the TVIP is linked to the original FMM?  

Done.  TVIP Deposit refunded in two business days. Fue pan comido.

Archived