Chapala.com Webboard

Cockroach Poison

This stuff is a drain cleaner (like Draino) and available at Jara Hardware - just west of the Telmex office on the Carrettera.

Pour it down the drain at nite and flush it away in the morning.

58dfa361ccc84_HarpicDestop.jpg.e8475a6c0990580df9f850804068654a.jpg

I bought some brown syrup type gook in a squeeze bottle at the little mom and pop garden store (not the one by 7-11), lake side between San Antonio and Riberas.  There are directions showing where to put it.  i put it all around under the sink, corners, corners of slider doors, and I haven't seen any roaches since then. 

22 hours ago, sm1mex said:

I bought some brown syrup type gook in a squeeze bottle at the little mom and pop garden store (not the one by 7-11), lake side between San Antonio and Riberas.  There are directions showing where to put it.  i put it all around under the sink, corners, corners of slider doors, and I haven't seen any roaches since then. 

Do you remember the name of this particular garden store and the product itself?  Is it east or west of the 7-11?  Or do other places carry this product as well?  I'd be travelling on the bus, so it would be helpful to know exactly where this is.

I do not use any extermination product.  I buy the clear plastic drain covers that are about 4 inches in diameter and cover both my kitchen drains when the faucets are not in use and I never have any of the little brown cockroaches.  I also cover the shower drain and floor drain ln  one bathroom.This is for the brown roaches only.

Well, I never say "never." When the time comes when you are afraid to get up in the night because things are crawling around...

My suggestion would be to call a professional. I had to do this a year or so ago, and it was certainly worthwhile. Just dusted off their number, as pest season is upon us: Fumigaciones de la Ribera, Victor Vargas Tapla, 331-331-42-42. Total pro, classy guy. Just looked up his phone number today as bug season is getting nigh. His chemicals are pet-safe and he does not make a mess, unlike another I have used.

suegarn: The name of the product is Maxforce made by Bayer.  It comes in a big syringe and you push the plunger out to put areas of this brown goo around.  I'm pretty sure the mom and pop garden store is before the 7-11 store, lake side and it is across the street from some rock type quarry where you can buy big rocks.  I wish I could be more specific.  she usually has a sandwich board out saying peat moss/tobacco (for bugs) and that diaclenacious earth powder (sp?)  Now that you know the name you can also check with some of the larger hardware stores who might carry this roach stuff.  Or the garden lady just east of the 7-11 may have it also.

The tube is 30 grams weight and was 150 pesos. Don't put this stuff where pets or children can get to it.

On 4/1/2017 at 7:00 AM, tomgates said:

Cynoff powder, mix in 1 gal of water in a sprayer. 

Cynoff is cypermethrin ----a highly toxic insecticide that should only be used by professionals, and as a last resort. Disposal is strictly regulated in Canada and U.S. It's VERY toxic to fish (and with us being so close to the lake......) and also cats.

There are a zillion ways to deal with pests without resorting to this stuff!  Especially since boric acid (as noted by one poster) is so effective,    MUCH safer, environmentally friendly .........and is also at many ferreterias as well as the dollar store.

3 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

I do not use any extermination product.  I buy the clear plastic drain covers that are about 4 inches in diameter and cover both my kitchen drains when the faucets are not in use and I never have any of the little brown cockroaches.

Me either for 8 years. Now I have these brown roaches. Not the same as water bugs, street roaches etc. I hope you never have them. They are awful. And I have had 3 different pro exterminators and still cannot get rid of them.

3 hours ago, JayBearII said:

Well, I never say "never." When the time comes when you are afraid to get up in the night because things are crawling around...

My suggestion would be to call a professional. I had to do this a year or so ago, and it was certainly worthwhile. Just dusted off their number, as pest season is upon us: Fumigaciones de la Ribera, Victor Vargas Tapla, 331-331-42-42. Total pro, classy guy. Just looked up his phone number today as bug season is getting nigh. His chemicals are pet-safe and he does not make a mess, unlike another I have used.

Already had 2 local exterminators. Don't care about pet safe as we take our pets away when we are doing this. However in the past 15 months, no luck with  different exterminators (plus our efforts) to get rid of these brown / gold med sized roaches.

3 hours ago, sm1mex said:

suegarn: The name of the product is Maxforce made by Bayer.  It comes in a big syringe and you push the plunger out to put areas of this brown goo around.  I'm pretty sure the mom and pop garden store is before the 7-11 store, lake side and it is across the street from some rock type quarry where you can buy big rocks.  I wish I could be more specific.  she usually has a sandwich board out saying peat moss/tobacco (for bugs) and that diaclenacious earth powder (sp?)  Now that you know the name you can also check with some of the larger hardware stores who might carry this roach stuff.  Or the garden lady just east of the 7-11 may have it also.

The tube is 30 grams weight and was 150 pesos. Don't put this stuff where pets or children can get to it.

Thank you sm1mex!  I'll see if I can find that product and give it a try.  If that doesn't work, I'll try the boric acid.

I use EL DEVORADOR, one product available at Regalus Luz off the plaza in Ajijic. It is a gummy substnace made of Borax and a sugary milk (which is what attracts the roaches). They eat and it pfff! Gone for weeks, often months. Non-messy, easily dropped behind fridges/stoves/washing machines. Exceedingly inexpensive at 34p). Comes in a little flast bos the size of a lardge deck of smokes, always brightly coloured. Can probably be found at small neighbourhood groceries, too. And there are a number of differently-named but exactly the same products.

Archived