Chapala.com Webboard

Frats Auto Tec Solutions

peterth

Check to see if they have been at same address over 6 months, if they use landline phones if plates will be from Jalisco and if they will give you a written contract and some examples of cars done.  Nationalizing is like UFOs, so many want to believe but few real ones exist. 

The owner of FRATS works at Mitsubishi in Guadalajara.  He doesn't do the actual importation, this must be done by a customs broker at the border.  FRATS will assist you with the process if you are not comfortable doing it yourself - for a facilitator's fee.

11 hours ago, peterth said:

Has anyone had any experience Nationalizing a  Foreign car with Frats in Chapala? I would like to hear how it went. Also is there any difference between importing or nationalizing a car..

Those terms are usually used interchangeably most of the time. In order to legally Import a vehicle into Mexico, the vehicle must be at the border and done by a Broker. The Broker must first Export it from the US using CBP (US Customs). The whole process will take several days and is not cheap.... meaning thousands not hundreds (depending on vehicle).

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

At the US-Mexico border, as mentioned above. Laredo, Nogales, etc.

Finding a honest broker at the border is still a risky thing to do. Over the last ten years here I have heard many stories from people about being ripped off by brokers at the border.. 

If was my vehicle I would really have to think if it was worth doing, then I would get a recommendation from someone who as actually done it... 

True.  If a car is old enough to qualify, it probably is not worth the fees and trouble, plus the difficulty of getting full insurance coverage for it in some cases.  Then, as it ages, it may need parts & they may not be readily available.  I would consider a car sold in Mexico. 

Archived