Chapala.com Webboard

501 Spanish Verbs

cedros

I have the book 501 Spanish Verbs in English but I need to buy one in Spanish for my mentee. Does anyone know where it can be bought?

6 hours ago, cedros said:

I have the book 501 Spanish Verbs in English but I need to buy one in Spanish for my mentee. Does anyone know where it can be bought?

Can you clarify what you mean by a Spanish version of 501 Spanish Verbs?  They are Spanish verbs, so aren't they already in Spanish?  I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to understand what you are looking for.

I will check Superlake.

In the book there are many pages explaining all the different verb forms and tenses and what each one means and where/when each is used and explanations on how to use the book which are all in English in mine. I need one that has those parts in Spanish. I showed my mentee my book but he didn't really understnd it.  

He wants to learn proper Spanish to go with the "street" Spanish of Chapala that he already knows. 

Yes maybe Sandi's. Trinidad papeleria also suggested Gonvill and Gandi in Guadalajara. I'm trying to check their websites.

Your mentee should not really need the Spanish explanations, as if he looks at this section, he just needs to look at what verb tense they are talking about (which is given in Spanish as well as English in the heading for each verb form explanation) and the examples given and it should be pretty obvious when and how it is used if he is a native Spanish speaker, even if he now speaks hillbilly Spanish.

But good luck finding the book you want.

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Your mentee should not really need the Spanish explanations, as if he looks at this section, he just needs to look at what verb tense they are talking about (which is given in Spanish as well as English in the heading for each verb form explanation) and the examples given and it should be pretty obvious when and how it is used if he is a native Spanish speaker, even if he now speaks hillbilly Spanish.

As a retired  Spanish teacher I agree with mudgirl.  501 Spanish Verbs is basically to learn the correct form of the verbs in the different tenses.  For example:  preterite of -ar verbs ends in -aste, not -astes, -er/-ir verbs in -iste, not -istes

As to which tense to use where you need a grammar book.  

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

My mentee definitely needs the Spanish explanations. He doesn't understand the English explanations. There are 36 pages of explanations in English. How could you possibly know what he needs? He tells me what he needs and understands and I accept that.

I see the book we need is available in Argentina.

2 hours ago, bmh said:

This book is for foreigners so get a book for native speakers, it is not complicated.

Where?

12 hours ago, cedros said:

My mentee definitely needs the Spanish explanations. He doesn't understand the English explanations. There are 36 pages of explanations in English. How could you possibly know what he needs? He tells me what he needs and understands and I accept that.

I see the book we need is available in Argentina.

No we don't know what your mentee needs but those of us familiar with 501 Spanish Verbs use it mainly as a reference for the correct conjugated forms of irregular verbs in all the tenses and not much else.  

What do the pages in English explain?  Are they grammar explanations?  For a grammar book in Spanish I would check Gonvill in Guadalajara.  I think the main branch is on 16 de Septiembre right downtown.  I think textbooks are downstairs.  Branches in various malls but probably  don't have the textbook sections.

You might save yourself a lot of frustration by going the grammar book route rather than trying to track down the Spanish version, especially if the 36 pages of explanations in English are grammar explanations.  Sorry, but I don't know titles of any.  The go-to grammar book in English is a New Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish by Butt and Benjamin.  

If you're looking for a reference, one that would be all-encompassing is published by the Real Academia Española. They wrote a new one a few years back and took into consideration the variations in Spanish spoken throughout the Americas and not just peninsular español.

http://www.rae.es/obras-academicas/gramatica/nueva-gramatica

kbleitch that sounds like an interesting book also.

I think I have tracked down what I'm looking for.

Cedros Why don´t you ask one of you mentee for a title or ask a school teacher for a reference, the one Kbleitch mentioned maybe an overkill. It is better to have something published in Mexico as Mexican Spanish is what people here need .The other book is probably great for someone who is already speaking good Spanish but confusing otherwise as the base would be the Spanish from Spain and it is not what you want.

The problem may be even more basic:  No concept of grammar at all!

I suffered that problem with 501 Verbs, as I had no idea what any of the tense names meant, in any language, and I was already familiar with, and used a couple of other languages.  Words like “preterit, conditional, subjunctive, past perfect, gerund, etc.“ were meaningless to me, as I had learned English, as a child, in experimental classrooms within a Teacher‘s College.  We spent 8 years there, then went to high schools and universities without ever learning grammar or that strange thing other kids knew; diagramming.  So, when I took up Spanish on arrival in Mexico, I bought “501“ and had a time trying to figure out how to use it.  Once done, it was a great help, but I can understand the frustration of others without grammar.  My concept of it is still quite rudimentary; I just speak and write.....Correctly, I hope.

Archived