Chapala.com Webboard

Where to avoid for poor internet

Hoolia

Hi Listeros,  I am moving to Lakeside and need really good internet.I am an online professor and it is not unusual to have 60 students online around the world for a simultaneous webinar. Are there areas of Lakeside where I should NOT consider renting at all as the service is so bad. I can be conducting these webinars any time of the day so that is not an issue. I think everyone is recommending Telmex as the provider. I used them in San Miguel de Allende and service was pretty good. Many thanks in advance  Hoolia

Speeds are not consistent around lakeside. Research shows that parts of Riberas, and much of Chapala, get speeds above 10 and 20 and even up to 40. Vista del Lago gets 10 and better. And now, thanks to new infrastructure, so do much of Chapala Haciendas and Brisas de Chapala. The Lazaro Cardenas area, above the highway in Ajijic, shows many with 10 and better.

ADSL was introduced after my last review, and many people moved from 5 to 10 down. Note that most of these are on the $599p plan. A friend in lower Chula Vista gets 5 for $399 and is not interested in more... but there are people two blocks north who can't get more than 3.

Also see this thread on using cellular WiFi for those who need heavy-duty bandwidth for video conferencing, etc:

The offer from TelMex is up to 10 for $389, 20 for $499 (that's returned),40 for $599, 100 for $999, and 200 for $1,499. I know it is possible to get 40 lakeside, but I don't know if the higher speeds are actually available outside the big cities.

https://contrata.telmex.com/conexion-internet

No doubt you are interested in upload speed as well.  I'm on an ADSL line from Telmex getting 8 Mb down and 0.6 Mb up (ouch!).  My download and upload are usually higher, but the upload is always much lower.  The signal from Telecable may be more balanced.

No rental or sales agent truly knows if the property has "fast" internet unless they are the landlord and can demonstrate it for you.  The only other way to know for sure is to ask the neighbors.

I've found that Telmex can give you a pretty good idea.  For example, if the best speed they can give you is on their middle tier plan, they will know (and tell you) that the top speed plan buys you nothing better.  At least that is my best experience.

Archived