Chapala.com Webboard

Gas prices in the home

ComputerGuy

Just got some gas from my favourite guys, and was informed the price has risen 20% since December! So now it costs 1200p to get what was 1000p worth. My last bill showed 7.07 unit price; the new bill is 8.75. Holy freakin' cow.

Not too many products can get away with a 20% raise in prices... other than essential services like gas, electricity, water... wonder why that is? (That was a rhetorical question; no answers needed.)

Hot water heaters are the main consumers of propane in most homes at Lake Chapala. When we put a 160L solar water heater on our roof, our propane use  dropped from about 1500L/yr to about 300L/year.  If you do the math, you will see that solar is definitely the way to go.

Curious, could solar hot water be feasible for a 12 unit condo building here in PV?

On second thought the plumbing work would probably make it non cost effective. Should have been done originally.

I think it would depend upon the layout of the plumbing to the current hot water heaters being able to be combined to a single solar hot water source; one large enough to support the number of tenants.  Such large capacity systems are available for roof-top installation, facing south, and with one or more solar units.  An apartment complex in our neighborhood, in Chapala, had such a system, and the local laundry also used a solar system of multiple units. If the run is too long, some recirculating, insulated hot water storage might be needed; possibly incorporating the existing hot water heater tanks. A solar supplier should be able to advise and design a system for you.  Payback can be quicker than many realize.

Archived