Chapala.com Webboard

Registracion Vehicular Federal

Registracion Vehicular Federal ? Heard this rumour on the weekend, from responses below it is just a rumour.

Any one confirm this requirement? Apparently it is  a new sticker requirement for Mexican vehicles this year in addition to the standard state yearly sticker.  No charge for it. You have to have it placed on your car by April 1st. It is a federal requirement and a way for the federal government to track vehicles.

This doesn't surprise me as I know that lots of people have been scammed thinking paying for nationalizing and not getting it done properly.  I had such happen to me and luckily found someone to help.  If you find yourself in such a predicament, or just want it "checked", PM me and I will send you the name of someone who can check it out for you.

OK, I've just spent the last half hour trying to look this up and test it out. Here is what I've found;  I'll post website links at the bottom so you can check your own cars. In addition, some states and other entities (CDMX, for example) have additional state/area registration requirements; the info below pertains to Jalisco, courtesy of SEGOB (aka our Federal Public Safety folks.)

In brief, a 2017 tarjeta de circulación (vehicle registration windshield sticker) contains a bar code and a scan. It might/maybe/could also have a multi-digit number under the bar code. Then again, according the FAQ link below, it just might not. (Pause here; go check your sticker/calcomanía.) The scan links to your folio de constancia de inscripción, and this number is your vehicle's registry into the federal vehicle database. New cars are supposed to be entered into the system by the manufacturer, dealer, or vendor; imported/nationalized/legalized vehicles get keyed in when your car gets into the system; used cars are supposed to be entered by the state agency when the car is reregistered; if you are not registered (ie fell through the cracks, older vehicle pre-2008) then you are supposed to get yourself registered when you renew your registration. If you want to see your vehicle status, jump to the second link, below.

http://www.repuve.gob.mx/quieres_conocer.html  This is the REPUVE (REgistro PUblico VEhicular) website home page. Among other details, anyone with a license plate, VIN, or constancia de inscripción can check anyone's vehicle status; for example, if you want to buy a used car, you can verify if there's a robbery report out on it, etc...  So, this info is not private, altho I did not check random vehicles to test the system.

http://www2.repuve.gob.mx:8080/ciudadania/  This is the start of the link to check your vehicle status. Fill in ONLY one field and check your registration in the system. Note, if one entry doesn't take, try again with another; do the "I'm not a robot" exercise, and click. I did my license plate and nothing popped up; I tried again with my VIN and it shows a federal vehicle report, as of today's date, that indicates that there is no stolen car report on my vehicle. It also show stats on my vehicle, including the Numero de Constancia de Inscripción, the code showing my registration into the system. I printed this page just in case of something, sometime... Although the exhibit of the window sticker (in the FAQ link, below) shows a registry number, mine only has a year; the asterisk in the exhibit indicates that not all vehicles' stickers look like their example. 

http://www.repuve.gob.mx/docs/faq.pdf  These are FAQs about the registration process: who, why (why not), etc. I pulled the above from here.

https://gobiernoenlinea1.jalisco.gob.mx/vehicular/  Check this website if you want to see if you have any outstanding tickets. Oddly, this website liked my license plate, whereas the REPUVE did not. Yay. No tickets.

So, most of us should be free and clear by virtue of having our vehicles properly registered AND entered properly in the database by the state agency personnel who is responsible for this task. If you have an issue, perhaps get thyself to Chapala or wherever and inquire.

Thanks for doing this. The second link didn't open for me. Newer cars, including ours, has an additional sticker, blue 3x5" with a bar code. This might be what the OP is referring to. 

I don't understand what you mean when you say a scan " tarjeta de circulación (vehicle registration windshield sticker) contains a bar code and a scan."  What is a scan? Don't you scan a bar code?

Nothing is free in Mexico and the sticker shown is to show vehicles were imported legally.  This sticker is part of the fee paid to repuve, no?

6 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Nothing is free in Mexico and the sticker shown is to show vehicles were imported legally.  This sticker is part of the fee paid to repuve, no?

No my car was bought new from a dealership in Mexico, not imported.

Question along this same line:  Have been out of the country 2 years and headed back soon.  My stickers of course have expired.  ANyway to renew not being in the country or any ideas what to do if stopped with the expired stickers?  Maybe Spence knows what to do and if I can do through his office being out of the country.  DOn't want to give up my car on the way back down.  Thanks

TIP is good if you renewed temp on time and notified.

Plates don't expire. Your annual registration is possibly expired and you just need to get a new one at the office in Chapala on Degollado. A friend can just take your license plate number to this office and get the 2017 sticker, and mail it to you. Or just do without and probably no problems on the way down.

To the oringinal question Intercasa is correct in his assertion the sticker is showing vehicle imported.   It doesn't matter you bought it from a dealership it's just a sticker that all new cars get to show the vehicle is imported legally.  Cars come from many countries and are imported by dealers.   I believe cars assembled here still have parts that were brought in/imported.   No big deal and nothing to worry about.  Of course this is just my understanding!

It would also be possible to renew his tags on line and then he would be legal as soon as he entered the country. The receipt given on line acts as the tag renewal until he picks up the actual sticker in Chapala (or wherever).

Archived