Chapala.com Webboard

Changing 6 month TIPS to Residente Temporal

KarenS

Our car was brought in under a 6 month tourist TIPS which will expire later this month.  Within that 6 months we received our Residente Temporal card.  We now realize we should have immediately (within 15 days) notified Aduana to have our TIPS extended - we didn't realize that and just presumed we would take the car back to the border at some point before the 6 month expiry and get a new permit.  So now what?  We don't have time before the expiry to get to our local Aduana office.  We aren't too concerned about the deposit - but how do we notify Aduana before the permit expires?  If we have already lost our deposit, does it matter if the permit expires?  Can we go to any Aduana office to notify them of our residency change?  - our intention was to just stop at the office at the border.  To make it more complicated, we are now bringing in a utility trailer with our Menaje de Casa - we don't want to import the trailer but to get a temporary permit with it as well.  Not sure how to best handle this.

Ditto asking a professional for your 'complicated case'.

Your Post is somewhat contradictory (or at least it is unclear to me about your maybe leaving soon or not, but when and do you have enough time to visit Aduana before or not...) So if it is too late for you to get to the border with that vehicle, here are some gotcha's.... if you don't remove the vehicle from Mexico as you 'promised' within 180 days, yes you will loose your deposit. But more-over you will be shown to still have a vehicle in Mexico... all be it illegal. And then later trying to get that or another vehicle into Mexico WITH or WITHOUT a utility trailer will probably be denied. Probably.  So no matter when you do finally drive that vehicle out of Mexico you should definitely stop and cancel the permit on it even if it is expired.

After that, in order to get your Utility trailer into Mexico, it must be 'tied' to some vehicle. That vehicle and trailer will be associated with your Temporal  and can stay in Mexico as along as you keep extending them annually with your Temporal.  BUT you must inform Aduana during that annual process that you want to keep the vehicle and trailer in Mexico or you will be right back in the same situation you are in now..... having temporary import(s) in Mexico illegally.

My office does the notificaitions to aduana, you are late and will probably lose your deposit if you dont go back to border but notifying will at least give you something to show that you did notify if you are pulled over. 

UPDATE:  So we had no problems.  Just went to Banercito office at 21km - cancelled our old permit with a few hours to spare, got our deposit back and scraped off sticker.  Then crossed the highway to the other office, and applied for  new permit - truck and trailer - which will be for 9 more months to match our temporary residence renewal.  They didn't mention our oversize truck or ask about the size of our trailer, which I was concerned about as it is also very large.

• 2 weeks later...

We have gone through this process and duly notified Aduana and requested an extension of our TIP to match our temporary residency visa.  The first time we did the extension we received a letter from Aduana indicating the extension had been approved.  We had to do this a second time because we renewed our visa for 3 years.   To date we have not received a letter like we did the first time, although the TIP checking site shows the extension has been approved and it was been several months.  Is the fact we don't have a letter of concern?  Should we be trying to contact Aduana in Mexico City to see if they can send us a copy of that letter?  It must have been lost in the mail....big surprise.

'Twas me, I'd just chalk it up to the mail.  If you are definitely seeing online that the extension was approved for 3 years, that would be good enough for me. Can one 'print or screen-shot' from that online website?

Archived