Chapala.com Webboard

Buyer Beware!

Carrol

Today I joined the ranks of 'Scammed Gringettes.'  An unpleasant experience that will never happen again.  But I'll pass along the experience to those of you who think it'd be nice to get the dust washed off your car while at Walmart. Do think about that twice...and if you succumb to those pleasant folk, be sure to ALWAYS get a price in advance.

Today, a super-rotund, English-speaking, very pleasant  guy came up to me and asked if I'd like my car washed while I shopped.  The car was pretty dusty, so I said OK.  He asked if I'd like the 'special wash.' I declined, saying it was going into the shop in the morning.

A conversational fellow (He sounded like he'd gone to the Wharton School of Business)...he asked why? So I pointed to a few scratches, and volunteered that the bottom dust plate also had a bolt loose that was going to be tightened. "Oh I can do all that for you!" he politely declared....and therein was my huge mistake...I did not ask "How Much?"  I just said Ok, thinking he was such a nice guy, I'd give him the opportunity to make a few extra pesos.

The price when I returned?  $5500 pesos...but my 'special discount' because I was such a nice person was only $3500.  By that time, I'd become surrounded by his cronies who were all nodding.  So of course you all know what I did...I turned scarlet...protested loudly...then paid the thief and marched back into Walmart and reported the incident.  The management wanted me to call the police and go to Chapala and file a police report....saying they had no control over the guys who wash cars. "BUT they wear your own Walmart bibs and are in your parking lot!"...sez me.   They just politely apologized and shook their heads...urging me to call the police.

Not likely....I know where that road leads,.....

The Bottom Line of this sad tale....well....you all know the bottom line.

And now I do too!

Archived