Chapala.com Webboard

Have you ever shipped a box to yourself from NOB?

With our packing all our worldly goods here NOB we've discovered we have only about 1.5 pallet's worth, and the items aren't valuable, probably no more than $2000 usd, and that is a stretch.  Just used hobby items that we can't find easily SOB and a few things for camping when we go to Africa.  Some of it we will bring into Mexico in suitcases, but the remainder will be sent in boxes.

I've estimated it's far cheaper to ship the boxes via UPS or Fedex from NOB to SOB than it is to use a moving company.  

Questions:

1. When the boxes arrive in Mexico, where do I go to collect them? I assume I have to pay...something.  Again, these are low dollar items but difficult to find in Mexico. I do have receipts.

2. ...And correct me if  I am wrong, but the Mexican customs website indicates that shipped goods under $1000 in total value are assessed a flat 13.9% CIF (cargo, insurance, freight) fee. 

3. How 'bout when we are walking through customs at the airport, after collecting our big suitcases? Do I declare things like my knitting needles, specialty yarn, crochet hooks, telescoping easel, (used) bedsheets, etc? How is aduana assessed, over and above the $300? Do I really need receipts for everything? 

Thanks.

Air freight is two to three times more than land freight. There are two companies which are easy to deal with and will put everything together for you. One is Estafeta U.S.A. (which we have used many times) and the other is Redpack U.S.A. which appear to be able to transport heavier items. I would phone them first, because there may be restrictions on the type of pallet you use. You would ship to their warehouses on the border in Laredo, they will take it from there. If you are going to ship by pallet, make sure they deliver with a truck with a power tail gate and a pallet jack. They will only deliver "curbside" dropoff.

Archived