Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone have a room to rent, for about a week?

Denise

DISCLAIMER-  I do not know if this belongs in this section, so ,please, if it does not I will remove it, thank you.

My husband will be arriving in Lake Chapala the last week of March and we are wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone who has a room to rent ( for about a week or less)? He is arriving ahead of me to get everything arranged for us, I will be arriving the first week of June.

He will be looking for a short term lease, once he arrives. We have been told by numerous people that many of the short term leases are posted on various bulletin boards, in the area. We have looked on several sites for hotels, motels and AirBnB and are finding extravagant prices , $800 or more for 10 days and so on. So we are hoping someone needs or wants some extra cash and would like to play host for a few days.

We had someone lined up, but they backed out after finding out that we are an interracial couple. I am white and my husband is black. I normally do not feel the need to introduce ourselves in this fashion, however over the past ten years that we have been together, we have had our share of unfortunate attention. Some people just do not like it and I respect that, it is their right. But, I feel the need to let a potential host know this , in case they are "uncomfortable" with this, like our last potential host. I do not believe this is the norm, for this area.

My husband and I are both professional people. He worked within the criminal justice system for more than 25 years and I am a middle school teacher, he is 50 and I am 51. He might sip on a glass of wine, I have never seen him finish a glass and he does not smoke. He is a true southern gentleman. We are so excited about retiring to the area , we just need a wee bit of help, to get us started.

DISCLAIMER-  I do not know if this belongs in this section, so ,please, if it does not I will remove it, thank you.

My husband will be arriving in Lake Chapala the last week of March and we are wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone who has a room to rent ( for about a week or less)? He is arriving ahead of me to get everything arranged for us, I will be arriving the first week of June.

He will be looking for a short term lease, once he arrives. We have been told by numerous people that many of the short term leases are posted on various bulletin boards, in the area. We have looked on several sites for hotels, motels and AirBnB and are finding extravagant prices , $800 or more for 10 days and so on. So we are hoping someone needs or wants some extra cash and would like to play host for a few days.

We had someone lined up, but they backed out after finding out that we are an interracial couple. I am white and my husband is black. I normally do not feel the need to introduce ourselves in this fashion, however over the past ten years that we have been together, we have had our share of unfortunate attention. Some people just do not like it and I respect that, it is their right. But, I feel the need to let a potential host know this , in case they are "uncomfortable" with this, like our last potential host. I do not believe this is the norm, for this area.

My husband and I are both professional people. He worked within the criminal justice system for more than 25 years and I am a middle school teacher, he is 50 and I am 51. He might sip on a glass of wine, I have never seen him finish a glass and he does not smoke. He is a true southern gentleman. We are so excited about retiring to the area , we just need a wee bit of help, to get us started.

4 minutes ago, Denise said:

Gringal I looked at the site and it is perfect, but do you know if there is a bus stop? He will need to get around.

I don't know the specific answer, but buses are everywhere in this area and they run frequently.  I suggest you ask the hotel about this.  They should know.

Good luck!

Hotel Perico is a lovely, quiet place.  However, it is aways up the hill and as far as I know, there is only one bus that goes past there, the directo bus to Guadalajara.  I`m not sure if it would stop anywhere near the Hotel.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this. The local buses certainly do not go there.  Your husband would have to walk a mile or so down the hill to get a bus into town.

I would suggest Hotel Villa Samary in Chapala as an inexpensive and highly accessible alternative.  It is on Morelos in Chapala Centro, a half block from the main street and from the plaza, where one of the main bus stops is. It is charming, clean and beautiful and only $25 a night. That`s the price now, it may be less in the slow season when your husband arrives. 

As to being interracial, the prejudice you experienced is unknown to me in my 5 years experience here.  I apologize on behalf of the entire lakeside area. That kind of bigoted attitude is very rare here and absolutely unacceptable. You should not expect to encounter it again.   Your presence here is very welcome!

VERY kind of your ibbocat!

Denise, you can expect a lot more of people like ibbocat here than you can that racist butthead you encountered.  Definitely check the bulletin boards at LCS, El Torito Market, Superlake.  Might be a good idea to repost here what you all are looking for on a new thread.

Welcome and good luck!

I can recommend Casa Blanca in central Ajijic. We stayed there several years ago when we were waiting for our home to be ready. Simple, clean rooms. Ours had a small kitchenette. It offered a breakfast at that time, do not know about that now. Close to local bus, restaurants, easy walk to carreterra.

First, I will be happy to finish your husband's wine, and I would be happy to haunt the disgusting person who cancelled on you.

Second, you might be best off at a traditional B&B for your first week. I know that we received lots of help from the former owners of Casa Flores when we were first here, about 15 years ago. It's still a good choice. Another choice is Casa Blanca, more of a hotel. Their manager, Melanie, is terrific. She's originally from the US and is married to a man who grew up here. They are raising a family here and Melanie can give you lots of help. She's probably fairly close to your age--at least closer than I am.

9 hours ago, Prudent said:

First, I will be happy to finish your husband's wine, and I would be happy to haunt the disgusting person who cancelled on you.

Second, you might be best off at a traditional B&B for your first week. I know that we received lots of help from the former owners of Casa Flores when we were first here, about 15 years ago. It's still a good choice. Another choice is Casa Blanca, more of a hotel. Their manager, Melanie, is terrific. She's originally from the US and is married to a man who grew up here. They are raising a family here and Melanie can give you lots of help. She's probably fairly close to your age--at least closer than I am.

I thought the manager was named Meredith.

18 hours ago, Prudent said:

Second, you might be best off at a traditional B&B for your first week. I know that we received lots of help from the former owners of Casa Flores when we were first here, about 15 years ago. It's still a good choice. Another choice is Casa Blanca, more of a hotel.

Mind the OP`s statement about cost.  Both of these are above $85 a night.

I know the Hotel Italo is not fancy but rooms are clean and at about $25. per night and right in the heart of Ajijic. It's perfectly located. I have stayed there in the past and have friends there now who needed temporary accomodation. Repeat, very basic but for a short stay also could solve your problems. 01 376 766-2569.

1 hour ago, RCman said:

I know the Hotel Italo is not fancy but rooms are clean and at about $25. per night and right in the heart of Ajijic. It's perfectly located. I have stayed there in the past and have friends there now who needed temporary accomodation. Repeat, very basic but for a short stay also could solve your problems. 01 376 766-2569.

For someone sensitive to loud church bells ringing every day (the main church is next door), Italo is not " perfectly located".  Otherwise, it`s cheap and servicable.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, Denise said:

I brought my colored (Her word, not mine!) fiance to the village about 20 years ago. I told her that I wanted to retire here. We would walk in the village or Chapala and the children would cheerfully follow us and 'call her a name' as my fiance said. She did not like it there. We went to a dance club in Chapala, and she was seeking solace from a bilingual local. He asked "What do they call you?" He told her "That means 'Beautiful Star' as in movie star." 

• 4 weeks later...

Denise, I sent you a PM.

Looks like you found what you need.  But I want to join with the others in letting you know that the behavior you experienced from the people that backed out is not acceptable to the vast majority of people you will meet here, people from many countries.  You are most welcome here and I believe you will feel that immediately.  Bienvenidos!

I want to thank all the positive people who reached out and offered help. A wonderful couple made available their home, for my husband, took him around and showed him some of ins and outs of Ajijic life and even recommended him to their friend, who had a rental. So, now, we are renting a 3/1.5 for a fantastic price and in the center of everything. It was a bit of a rough start but it turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU, EVERYONE, especially ibbocat , couldn't be where we are at without your kindness and help!!!!!!!!!!

Archived