Chapala.com Webboard

White Fly in Soil?

Have you been spreading bags of "fertilizer" over your grassy area's and in your potted plants?

We too are having similar problems, it's possible that the fertilizer is mixed with rotted animal "waste".

Perhaps someone knowledgeable in horticulture will respond.

I have no idea where they live but they are indestructible.  

I had a greenhouse in the US and nothing seemed to kill them.  Then I ordered 1000 wasp of some kind.  Came in a tube the size of a hypodermic needle.  They were so small that I could barely see them but they did the trick.  Killed all the white flies within a week.

8 hours ago, Yo1 said:

There is only one spray here that will kill them--Talstar.  No spray allowed in the US will touch them.

So if it's not allowed in the US, that would indicate that it's highly toxic, no? I can't understand why people would willingly use products, simply because they are available, that are dangerous to the environment, people, pets, possibly carcinogenic, etc.

17 hours ago, mudgirl said:

So if it's not allowed in the US, that would indicate that it's highly toxic, no? I can't understand why people would willingly use products, simply because they are available, that are dangerous to the environment, people, pets, possibly carcinogenic, etc.

I don't know - because some people really despise white fly and cutter ants? I'll bet it is available in the U.S. to "industrial applicators only". They don't like pests because there are dollars on the line.

Please don't use these toxic chemicals on your gardens!!!  It not only will kill the pests but it also kills all the butterfly's, bees, birds and will make your pets (dog & cat) very sick if they happen to get it on their paws.  This stuff sold here is so toxic!  To say nothing of the water table..............

just let the little white flies fly!  No big deal.

Archived