Chapala.com Webboard

Problem at Ci Banco Chapala

Same thing happened to us at the ATM at Integrity Plaza.  Called our bank - there was no problem in them getting us our money back.  The bank explained that the investigation will show exactly the amount of money that the machine dispensed.  Relax, it'll be fine.  

I had the same thing happen at the Scotiabank machine.  By the time I got home 15 minutes later, the amount had been credited back into my account.

4 hours ago, Azzurro said:

Where is Integrity Plaza?

I'm wondering that too?  Maybe Plaza Interlago behind Pemex on libramiento where Integrity medical clinic USED to be located.  Quality Care Clinic is still there along with Lake Taco, Vancouver Wings, Dr. Berenice's vet practice, Tio Sam and other businesses.

8 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

I used my Capital one 360 debit card...and requested 4000 pesos. The machine dispensed 800 pesos. Went into the Banco....they showed no emotion and told me to call my bank. There will be a 10 day investigation and I may not get my money back.......

Be careful.

Fred Habacht

Fred, I am betting that you got 8 of the $100 peso notes. The machine thinks you got 8 of the $500 peso notes. This happens when someone at the bank changes out the $100s for the $500 when they stock the machine. It looks kosher to the bank and the theif didn't steal from them. It happened to us before in Guadalajara at Bancomer. It was eventually resolved. BTW maybe I should video the bills as they come out?

A bank branch has nothing to do with an ATM on their premises. It is serviced and balanced by a 3rd party entity. You've seen the armored trucks swapping out cash canisters guarded by the guy with the shotgun. They pull a total that shows the amount dispensed since the last refill and the amount that should be left in the old canisters.  New canisters and the total cash inside are loaded into the machine. They take the old canisters back to the office, count the cash and balance it. They'll know there was a problem since the count will be off.

When you do a transaction you enter your PIN and the amount you want. The request flies out to your bank. If the PiN is good and you have sufficient funds your account is debited and the bank responds to the ATM wih a thumbs up to dispense. The money is taken from your account before the machine begins dispensing cash.

If there is any sort of error the physical ATM can sense it is supposed to send back a full or partial reversal to your bank. Money is credited and the net transaction matches the amount of cash dispensed at the ATM. In this case there does not appear to be a hard failure so your bank must contact CI Banco and make a claim. This is a manual process  and will take time. Often your bank will give you provisional credit while they wait on the claim.

In general that is true but I've personally seen the employees of the CI Banco branch in Centro Laguna servicing the ATM there.  I'm assuming that's the machine being discussed here.

Another observation:  The 100 peso note is not the same size as the 500 peso note.  Curious as to how the machine could process the former through the feed mechanism for the latter.  Not suggesting it can't be done, just wondering why it wouldn't cause problems or shut down.

I seem to recall a number of reports of shortage problems with this ATM.  Perhaps it is a good idea to video what comes out of it in the event of being shorted.

Archived