Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing an enclosed 5X8 Cargo Trailer

Does anyone know where to find current information on the possibility and requirements for nationalizing/importing a small, enclosed cargo trailer?  All my research indicates that it either can't be done or it would not be cost effective, but I haven't been able find the information on the Mexican customs and importations sites.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I concur - I checked into this and determined it is not practical to try and nationalize a small NOB trailer.  I had a 5' x 8 with Ontario plates here that originally came across the border on a temporal.  The original owners left it behind when they went back NOB.  I ended up taking it back to Ontario and sold it there.  I came to the conclusion that you are best off to either build one or have one built local for you.  I had one built for me and found it a fairly painless process to get a Jalisco plate for it and long as you have someone give you a "factura" for it.  If no "serial#" you have to do some fast talking but the recuadora I went to (in a small town) did issue a plate and "tarjeta de circulation" for it.

Thanks for the reply Ezzie.  I used the trailer to haul some of my belongings down here on my last trip.  I really have no need for it now that I'm here.  I've had several offers to buy it - I know I can't legally sell.  I was just hoping there might be some way to nationalize it reasonably enough to be able to sell it here rather than have to pull it back to Texas empty.  You pretty well confirmed that it will be following behind the SUV on the next trip NOB.

The trailer will have to follow you home in your SUV because it is an integral part of the importada temporal; the SUV and trailer are one single importation unit.  Without the trailer, you will not get the sticker removed, your deposit back, or ever be able to import another vehicle into Mexico.

You should really ask a customs broker. We had a nice 5 x 8 metal enclosed trailer, we didn't drive around town much with, but I remember being told that these trailers are rarely used in Mexico, and not necessary to be plated. All the trailers I saw had no plates, but they were usually hauling trash.  Mexico is pickup truck and stave truck country.

• 2 weeks later...

We hauled an enclosed utility trailer down with business tools - our truck received a temporary TIPS sticker but the trailer we imported so we would not have to take it back to Canada when we took the truck back.  It was not difficult and not expensive.  We had to get it inspected and filled out paperwork to import it at the border.  When we got to our own town near Puerto Vallarta we took the paperwork to the DMV to get plates for the trailer.    Probably best to talk to a customs broker.

How much did it cost and how long ago did you do this??  When I checked with a broker in Laredo it was almost $2,000 (all in with re-plating) to import a $4000 (at new cost) trailer.

Archived