Chapala.com Webboard

Real Estate purchase by tourist visa holder

HoneyBee

There should be no problem, only problem could arise if they implement a rule where those who dont have a CURP number (only issued to temp and permanent visa holders) will have a zero tax basis in their home so to avoid capital gains you would need a visa when you sold. 

17 hours ago, Intercasa said:

There should be no problem, only problem could arise if they implement a rule where those who dont have a CURP number (only issued to temp and permanent visa holders) will have a zero tax basis in their home so to avoid capital gains you would need a visa when you sold. 

Our Notario indicated this is exactly the problem so one should not buy anything unless one is certain one will get the right visa before they sell the property.

16 hours ago, Intercasa said:

Yup, have your Permanente when you sell or plan on 35% in capital gains.

Many thanks for all of your comments to my question. Myself , I have permanent Mexican status, but I will strongly advice to my friends that they have a chat with spencer before purchasing any real estate. One other thing that springs to my mind is that I do not believe one can open a bank account with a tourist visa, then again I could be wrong.

Archived