Chapala.com Webboard

Another cracker question

ComputerGuy

Breton crackers have shot up to 56p in some places; importing, I imagine. I have never been able to find a Mexican brand of cracker that I can pleasantly use with cheeses or pates or guacamole.

I am wondering if you've tried anything that CostCo might have, that is perhaps a tad less costly?

Oh, dear, you just reminded me of rice crackers! I don't think I have had them here. Here, we buy Breton wafers, and the other crackers are, uh, edible but not inspiring. Did I say that politely?

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Salmas too heavy for what I am looking for, and I really don't like any flavour of Habanero brand. Bland, overly dense for what I need. But thanks for the postings. I have yet to find a good Mexican cracker.

I've been experimenting with making a cheese 'cracker'--grated cheddar or parmesan on a non-stick skillet till crisp.  I got started on this kick when I heated a skillet to toast some coconut, sprinkled frozen, grated coconut into the skillet--and it MELTED.  Umm...not coconut, it was grated parmesan.  But it gave me an idea.  Not quite there yet, but you might want to try it too.  It bodes well.

I have not tasted this yet. The Scandinavian bakery in Centro Laguna has a new cracker bread. It has a hole through the middle and is on a string across his doorway. Don't ask me what they are called! This baker really knows his stuff and has top quality ingredients. Could be worth checking out.

Those cheese crisps are brilliant in something like a Caesar Salad, and a lot of restaurants use them.

30 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Hard to beat Bretons

Oh - I don't know about that....

ingredients

• Whole grains (whole wheat flour, wheat meal, purple wheat meal, rye meal, triticale meal, malted wheat meal, barley meal, spelt meal, amaranth, millet, quinoa, wild rice flour), wheat flour, coconut oil, canola oil, flax seeds, sugar, salt, barley malt syrup, wheat bran, wheat gluten, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, modified milk ingredients, ammonium bicarbonate, yeast extract, baking soda, soya lecithin, protease, pentosanase, natural flavour, spices.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Jeri: found them at Super Laura in San Antonio, in tubes. Absolutely perfect. Look like a pale Cracket with sesames, but they are a little crisper and a lot tastier. These will be even better for things like broccoli casseroles that call for Ritz. And the best part: locally priced.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:15 PM, Jeri said:

Tapatias, small light cracker covered in sesame seeds, about ten pesos for a roll at the local grocery story ... I like them

These are our preferred general cracker.  Buy them whenever you see packages on the shelves because like many things they come and then they go for a while.  Lots better than Ritz.  For flatbread tasteless crackers I use mexican brand saltless saltines...good for pesto spreads and liver pate...strong tastes are best on a butterless cracker.

Archived