Chapala.com Webboard

Primavera forest west side of Guadalajara

JayBearII

My geologist grandson will be visiting soon, and he is interested in touring volcanos. I can manage to drive to the Colima area, and maybe a partial drive up Vulcan Nevada (not sure the road is good) but I am totally uninformed as to the bubbling tar pits or whatever is left of the volcano that was, supposedly, where the Primavera Forest is today, and is the reason that that land was not developed. Can anyone help with info?

Your grandson has to, has to, meet John Pint. He is easy to find and very accessible. Saying that, I don't have an easy web access - something about Saudi caves (he is a spelunker). He writes regularly for Guadalajara Reporter.

In the meantime, he might be interested in this new discovery in Mexico - microbes 50,000 years old.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3996450/cave-of-crystals-mexico-microbes/

A young person interested in the marvels of our planet - what a great thing!

You can visit Colima, and stay in Comala for a great view of the Colima Volcano.

If you have a SUV or a pickup truck you can visit el Nevado de Colima (near Cd Guzman), where you can see the Volcano very close .

Regarding  la Primavera, there are hot water springs, and you can drive and hike around the area .

Check this website: http://geo-mexico.com/?p=9158

John Pint is your guy to go.

My nephew is a professional geologist who has visited a couple of times. Two good tours were to drive out the Colima highway to the high bridges and let him see the volcano and check for interesting specimens in the highway cuts. The second was a trip to Magdelena just past Tequila and take the mine tour for the opals. They get to hunt and scratch for opals in a small quary site and keep the opals they find. Stops along the Tequila--Magdelena highway 15 will yeild beautiful obsidian specimens. Just watch for areas shining like broken glass and pull over. As you go into magdelena watch for shops on the east side for "Mine Tours" stop and set a time ti meet at store. Then go on into the square and see the opals sellers in the square and in the shops on the corners. Then either lunch or Tequila tour and meet the boys at the store for the mine tour. They will find opals and have a good time and spend about 2.5 hours at the mine or less.

Archived