Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico, a country of respect.

Kiko

Nice story and Americans and the American military do things like this all the time.  The military of the democratic nations are very well known for their kindness and courage when disaster strikes.  The Mexican military is well known for the great things they accomplish when hurricanes strike this country, for example.

Respect also includes respecting the laws of the host country.  I am proud of our expat community that complies with Mexican immigration and other laws and at least most of us respect that Mexicans do not want foreigners demonstrating and waving foreign flags in their streets.  I'm proud of all the expats here who are involved in helping the less fortunate among us, both people and animals.

I look forward to a time when these kinds of respect are shown on both sides of the border.  Unfortunately, I think the forces of back lash are center stage at the moment.  It's a good time to keep our heads down.

And what are you contributing to at the moment?  A double standard?

Be careful what you advocate, it may come back on you and all the rest of us.  Don't kid yourself by thinking the people incited to retaliate with the encouragement of some here are going to sort the expat community.

Your post could be taken as a personal threat.  I suggest you knock off that here or anywhere else.

16 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Americans and the American military do things like this all the time. 

That may be but those ICE agents are outright jerks. I know this from experience. They seem to have been trained to a strategy of intimidation and fear to hopefully expose any anti-American sentiments. I used to like your country, but now I will never visit again. A humiliating experience and an exercise in anger management - no thanx.

That is your free choice.  I don't think that bureaucrats who behave like "outright jerks" are exclusive to any one country these days, we seem to have quite a lot of them all over the western world.  I could share with you the experiences of RV travelers we knew from our RV days who have had encountered some pretty serious jerks at the Canadian border to the point they stopped going there.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

That is your free choice.  I don't think that bureaucrats who behave like "outright jerks" are exclusive to any one country these days, we seem to have quite a lot of them all over the western world.  I could share with you the experiences of RV travelers we knew from our RV days who have had encountered some pretty serious jerks at the Canadian border to the point they stopped going there.

I don't know which Canadian border they had a problem. We were also avid Rvers, a lot of dry camping, dog shows, and fishing. In British Columbia there was a group of 40 to 60 American plated 'motor coaches" - each large enough to maintain a chest freezer. This group used to travel up and down the coasts of B.C. where they would fish salmon, crabs, oysters grossly over the legal limits, freeze them, then return south.  U.S customs didn't care. Canadian locals sure did.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

That may be but those ICE agents are outright jerks. I know this from experience. They seem to have been trained to a strategy of intimidation and fear to hopefully expose any anti-American sentiments. I used to like your country, but now I will never visit again. A humiliating experience and an exercise in anger management - no thanx.

Hey, I have a son in law and a second cousin that just happen to be ICE agents, and neither is a jerk. I don't speak about your family members like that so please don't speak about my family like that, when you don't know either. That is disrespect and uncalled for. Name names, but don't include the innocent, ok? gEEZ!!! As far as liking my country, no one honestly cares if you do, or not. We have way too many people that like it now, INHO.

20 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Nice story and Americans and the American military do things like this all the time.  The military of the democratic nations are very well known for their kindness and courage when disaster strikes.  The Mexican military is well known for the great things they accomplish when hurricanes strike this country, for example.

Respect also includes respecting the laws of the host country.  I am proud of our expat community that complies with Mexican immigration and other laws and at least most of us respect that Mexicans do not want foreigners demonstrating and waving foreign flags in their streets.  I'm proud of all the expats here who are involved in helping the less fortunate among us, both people and animals.

I look forward to a time when these kinds of respect are shown on both sides of the border.  Unfortunately, I think the forces of back lash are center stage at the moment.  It's a good time to keep our heads down.

Well said, MC. I think that speaks very well for the various countries from which we come to Lakeside. Excellent ambassadors from those countries.

I have no doubt your relatives are fine people - it is their training, a couple years after 911, that is the root of the problem. Trying to stimulate non-Americans into anti-American rants and temper tantrums. Stressing people out, for no real reason other than it's official policy. Now - "just doing our jobs madam, don't take it personally, now, please bend over".

As far as Bennie's realities - guess she didn't notice the 20,000 "backlash" protesters in Mexico City alone this weekend, and 10's of thousands of protesters all over Mexico. Another new reality, 500,000 convicted felons to be shipped back to Mexico and the only ones hiring are the cartels. I agree that the U.S.A. should have been doing this all along, slowly, but the way it is handled now it is going to be a flood, and it is going to affect every last one of us.

Outspoken T supporters are not welcome in Mexico, if you deny this is true, don't follow Al Berca's advice and see how it turns out for you.

Hey, Chilli, I have no trouble with their training. Only someone who doesn't want to cooperate, and is resentful, and feels they are better than those tasked with doing a job would ever have any problem with them, INHO. Like those who seem to always show disrespect to police officers anywhere. If you are polite and follow their direction, 99% of people have no confrontation. Only those 1% that are a$$holes have a deservedly tough time. If you are unhappy with their training, that is not a reason to badmouth the individuals who are doing as they are told. Think about it and do yourself a favor and NEVER put yourself in that position again. Suerte !

1 minute ago, Jim Bowie said:

Hey, Chilli, I have no trouble with their training. Only someone who doesn't want to cooperate, and is resentful, and feels they are better than those tasked with doing a job would ever have any problem with them, INHO. Like those who seem to always show disrespect to police officers anywhere. If you are polite and follow their direction, 99% of people have no confrontation. Only those 1% that are a$$holes have a deservedly tough time. If you are unhappy with their training, that is not a reason to badmouth the individuals who are doing as they are told. Think about it and do yourself a favor and NEVER put yourself in that position again. Suerte

That's just another myth, ever hear about a touchy subject called racial profiling? Just like you think everyone wants to live in the U.S.A. - have a look over on TOB in the politics section for this discussion, and examples of backlash. interesting.

The new I.C.E. policy is called goading - look it up.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

As far as Bennie's realities - guess she didn't notice the 20,000 "backlash" protesters in Mexico City alone this weekend, and 10's of thousands of protesters all over Mexico. Another new reality, 500,000 convicted felons to be shipped back to Mexico and the only ones hiring are the cartels. I agree that the U.S.A. should have been doing this all along, slowly, but the way it is handled now it is going to be a flood, and it is going to affect every last one of us.

Outspoken T supporters are not welcome in Mexico, if you deny this is true, don't follow Al Berca's advice and see how it turns out for you.

If there are no job prospects for these "felons" then the USA should keep them?  WE don't think so! Seems that is a Mexican problem for EPN and his government. The USA needs to enter them in deep Mexico, like President Eisenhower did in the 1950s. That was a real successful era for the USA and Illegal Immigration. The USA need to look at the past and see what Made America Great then, too.

I think some could benefit from reading this and paying close attention to the numbers and the history therein:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/there-arent-2-to-3-million-undocumented-immigrants-with-criminal-records-for-trump-to-deport/

The numbers from the previous administration are particularly interesting and they occurred without any of the fanfare and hate mongering we see now.  Why?

Also, a little math:  20,000 people in a city of 16 million works out to 0.125 percent and according to news reports a lot of them were out there demonstrating against Sr. Peña Nieto.  

I wonder how many of them would be out there demonstrating if, say, 5 million people from the U.S. decided to enter Mexico in violation of Mexican law.

Finally, I am curious at the open hatred of America and Americans whom they don't agree with by a number of Canadians on this board and in general locally.  You come from a country that might have 200K illegal immigrants and does not have the liability of the border in question.  Yet you just can't seem to understand that your country's situation is drastically different nor do you seem to understand that it was not your election.

I'm going to suggest again that it is time for American expats to show some respect for their own country's tradition of free and open speech and tolerance of different opinions, and it also wouldn't hurt for the same people to show Mexicans exactly why the U.S. has the longest running and most successful Constitutional process for peaceful change of power. 

That latter is very much of note in a country, Mexico, that has had so many revolutions trying to achieve the same thing.

BTW, Chillin, thanks for this:  " I agree that the U.S.A. should have been doing this all along,"  Couldn't agree more.

Finally, I am curious at the open hatred of America and Americans whom they don't agree with by a number of Canadians on this board and in general locally.  You come from a country that might have 200K illegal immigrants and does not have the liability of the border in question.  Yet you just can't seem to understand that your country's situation is drastically different nor do you seem to understand that it was not your election.

Really. I am going to recommend to you that you phrase your comments in the form of a polite question, not a judgmental assumption. We all understand the differences, and for the most part, are glad of them.

Sorry but you all don't give me the appearance of understanding the difference between the situation the U.S. faces and the one Canada has.  And I've never seen the kind of sentiments being expressed by Canadians here, on TOB, and a lot of other places about Americans reciprocated by Americans towards Canadians.

It wasn't even your election, to a large degree it isn't your problem and yet so many of you seem to have gone quite bonkers about it.

As for the deportation of felons, I hope you will read the link I posted carefully.  What it should tell you is that the major change here is that the media and some politicians have taken to spinning what is basically the same situation in a way as to foster a lot of hatred and misunderstanding.  

And IMHO a lot of folks including some here are getting sucked into it.

You know, I ride motos with a group of guys that includes some pretty savvy and successful Mexicans.  This topic came up over breakfast this past weekend and I found their take on it interesting.  We all agreed the U.S. let this go on too long and that some people here feel entitled to it and are quite angry that change is apparently coming.  

But they also asked the question of why their own political system failed the people here so badly that millions of them left the country to find work.

Their bottom line take on this is that this can be good for Mexico if it starts to reform itself and create more opportunity at home while becoming more independent of the U.S. financially and politically.  I've felt for a long time that Mexico is too beholden to the U.S. so it was interesting to hear these guys express much the same view.

51 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Sorry but you all don't give me the appearance of understanding the difference between the situation the U.S. faces and the one Canada has.

Justin Trudeau met with Trump today. One of them was a consummate leader and negotiator whose country is very proud of him and his leadership. The other -meh - not so much.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/justin-trudeaus-charm-offensive-white-210600348.html

After the meeting, I'm sure that Ivanka punched his arm and said "See Dad - thats how you are supposed to act!"

Guest bennie2

excellent MC, i have similar conversations. i dont worship mexicans or stand in fear, or need constant validation. chillin, racial profiling is fine & common sence. if the person is innocent w/an ID then why the problem? most gangs dont look swedish. most expats here dont look like azteca afro. thats the way the world works. canadians have nothing to do w/the US-mex dispute. they are looking for social events like protests. 

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Sorry but you all don't give me the appearance of understanding the difference between the situation the U.S. faces and the one Canada has.  And I've never seen the kind of sentiments being expressed by Canadians here, on TOB, and a lot of other places about Americans reciprocated by Americans towards Canadians.

It wasn't even your election, to a large degree it isn't your problem and yet so many of you seem to have gone quite bonkers about it.

As for the deportation of felons, I hope you will read the link I posted carefully.  What it should tell you is that the major change here is that the media and some politicians have taken to spinning what is basically the same situation in a way as to foster a lot of hatred and misunderstanding.  

And IMHO a lot of folks including some here are getting sucked into it.

Hey, just thanks from all off us stupid, unread, self-absorbed... but happy... Canadians.

Archived