Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican consulate troubles

Lost Dog

Just received a reply from the Mexican Consulate in San Jose, Ca. regarding applying for a Temporary Resident Visa. The message is "at this stage of negotiations with the new government of the US, our only interest is that of Mexico and Mexicans." They won't let us schedule an appointment. Considering hooking up with a local immigration attorney at this point. Anyone else had this problem?

We just returned from the Mexican Consulate in Orlando where we received the Visa pages in our passport for Residente Permanentes.  We made the appointment last week.  There was a 'walk-in' ahead of us and the consulate employee gave him the info he needed and told him to call for an appointment when he was ready with his documentation.  

Lost Dog - I suspect this is only a problem with this one Consulate - you might try another one in California and see what response you get.  Consulates are like little fiefdoms and seem to have a lot of leeway in interpreting the requirements etc. Good luck and keep going!

Made our appointment in Sacramento last week, went there yesterday. In less than 3 hours had our passport stickers for our permanente status. They could not have been nicer or more accommodating. Bent over backwards to get us completed that day so we wouldn't have to make a second trip. I have spent more time trying to get a car registered at our local DMV.

Well, things have definitely changed at the San Jose Consulate. I had contacted them by phone about 6 months ago and they returned my call the next morning. The woman was very helpful and friendly. Now, no return phone calls, the online appointment page doesn't work. The San Francisco Consulate is doing walk-in visas from 8:30am to 1pm weekdays so that will be our best bet although it means a 90 mile one-way trip. 

Archived