Chapala.com Webboard

Leaf Cutter Ant invasion!

DeborahM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trompa is good too. It's a pellet that is lightly scattered around the nest or a trail. They carry it back to the nest and it wipes them all out. The only place I've found it lately is the garden shop in Riberas.

I used Hormigol that I bought in the Garden Center in Riberas. Cheaper than Ortho and works great. Follow the above advice and try to get the nest.

Don't trash your gardenia. It WILL come back in a few weeks. I always like to think of cutter ants as mother nature's pruners...nasty but effective.

I use food grade diatomaceous earth that I purchase from Amazon.com. I have two dogs and I know that it won't harm them but sure does a number on cutter ants. Good luck!

There is no substitute for getting them where they live. I do my The Great Hunter bit after it gets dark by trailing them back to their nest with my flashlight and using the powder. While most are only a stones throw away I've tracked a few over the length of a football field. Theses suckers will go the extra MILE for something good it appears.  GOOD HUNTING!                                   

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

I use food grade diatomaceous earth that I purchase from Amazon.com. I have two dogs and I know that it won't harm them but sure does a number on cutter ants

Does that also work on the "micro/mini" ants as well?

Do you want chemical control or organic control?  The chemicals work, as does the rice trick. Cutting ants have been discussed lots at both the Lake Chapala Garden Club, as well as the Organic Vegetable Gardeners group. There is a link on the Lake Chapala Garden Club with more detailed instructions on how to use rice. My understanding from first hand accounts I have heard from dozens of gardeners who have shared their own experience with cutter ants is that the rice trick works for most people, but not all.  FYI, the ants do not actually eat the leaves, but take them back to their nest that they then farm to produce a fungus that they eat. They have apparently been farming this way for hundreds of millions of years.  So, the basis of some of the chemical controls is a fungicide that atacks their farming operation. Hope this helps. Good luck.

You can't stop the ants permanently-only slow them down. I have tried every chemical & trick available. You should go out every night and look for ants on the move and put down some substance to stop them (hormigol-smells awful and only works for a few day), paration metalilico is much more effective but it is toxic. For me other things like diatomaceous earth, laundry soap, rice are not very effective. Sprays like Ortho Ant Killer kill them in their tracks but is effective only for a week or so. Theoretically bait that the ants take back to their nest (like Patron and Trompa) should be the most effective in the long run. They sort of work but beware I have seen one of my dogs eating them. If the plant has just one or two stems treatments like Tree Tanglefoot are very effective. You put tape around the trunk and then paint this very sticky substance on the tape. If the ants try to pass over it they are trapped. It can work for a month or so. Tree Tanglefoot is "organic".

Maybe a real solution will be found one day; http://news.rice.edu/2015/10/07/research-points-to-possible-fungal-control-for-leaf-cutter-ants-2/

7 hours ago, snowyela said:

Does that also work on the "micro/mini" ants as well?

Yes it does... but in both cases it only acts as a physical barrier. So, when it rains or when the area is watered, the barrier goes too.

I was so incensed when my jasmine bush got stripped last year that I went a little overboard with the powder. On the other hand, I haven't seen any cutter ants since then. Knock on wood.

11 hours ago, suegarn said:

Plain uncooked white rice (not any fancy ones, like basmati or jasmine).  Spread it around plants, the ants will eat it and it'll puff up inside them and kill them.  I was told this by several gardeners down here, and it works!

Yes, plain uncooked rice works. Just lay an opened bags on the trail. May take quite a few bags, but works. They use the vegetation to grow fungus, for food. When they take rice to their nest, fungus will not grown on the rice, thus starving them. The ants do not explode, just die of starvation and the colony dies.

13 hours ago, suegarn said:

Plain uncooked white rice (not any fancy ones, like basmati or jasmine).  Spread it around plants, the ants will eat it and it'll puff up inside them and kill them.  I was told this by several gardeners down here, and it works!

That is an old wives tale, nothing more. It doesn't work.

Trompa has worked consistently for us.  The key is to find the nest and sprinkle around it plus along the trails they use.  You have to go out after dark with a flashlight and follow them home.  If they are behind a neighbors wall, I put it along the trail they are using only and this also seems to work.

I've used Trompa for years. It only slows them down for awhile-they make a new exit hole from their nest in a different place.

Not my experience at all.  Very important to scatter it along the trail, then they take it inside.  We've been advised not to put it down the hole as then they think it is a pollutant and push it out.  

I killed a half dozen nests nearly two months ago, haven't seen a sign of a new hole or ant since then.

I also use Patron which are pellets that are used like Trompa with the same results. I never put either in their entrance hole-rather a short distance from it like the directions say. The underground nests are often quite large. The results are the same for both. The ants go somewhere else for awhile (sometime just a few days, sometimes for months) but then return to my place through a different hole. Be careful scattering it along their trail as your pets might eat it-as does one on my dogs. I've been using Patron and Trompa for years with the same results. They are only temporary. Risky scattering it along their trail if you have pets.

Archived