Chapala.com Webboard

Fishing the lake for...

ned small

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very interesting as it's loaded with positive economic potential.   lake aguamilpa is a good example of the benefits and makes no note of any negative aspects to indigenous species.  Doubt we have any whitefish left in the lake, are the charales impacted? 

38 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

I thought they were Black Bass.

Bass 101. "Black" bass covers several species of freshwater bass including largemouth, smallmouth,rock,etc. the bass that are stocked in Mexican lakes are largemouth and primarily from Florida ,because of their tolerance for warmer water and quick growth. Smallmouth require colder water and 4 seasons like in Eastern Canada/USA. They weren't good candidates for stocking in Alberta, for example, because of the shorter summer. The charales are excellent feed for these bass.At Auga Milpa they live along side tilapia some of which get to be the size of the bass there. Lake Chapala's seem much smaller. By the way,tilapia originated in Africa. And yes there are still whitefish in the lake but they're getting rare. You can buy them on occasion from the fishmonger in the Chapala mercado.

bassid.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest English Rose
On 2/2/2017 at 7:57 AM, El Cartero said:

This is very interesting as it's loaded with positive economic potential.   lake aguamilpa is a good example of the benefits and makes no note of any negative aspects to indigenous species.  Doubt we have any whitefish left in the lake, are the charales impacted? 

I thought we weren't supposed to eat the fish out of this lake. Has this changed?

I would be extremely interested in comments from extranjeros that regularly (or even once recently) eat these ":bass" from the lake. Any takers?

I have found a lot who talk a "big game" of eating fish regularly from the Lake and swimming regularly in the Lake, but in my almost 20 years here have not encountered one person(extranjero) (let alone many people), who have ever done either. So, make my day with your own "personal" experiences.

Charales are a common snack as one wanders the malecon in Chapala, and they are from the lake and processed in Chapala. They may be small, but they are tasty & they are eaten in huge numberrs.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:26 AM, dennis clark said:

if I caught a bass out of the lake, is there anywhere I could have it tested?

If you're not a toddler or really really old or a pregnant female eat them once a week with impunity. No need for testing the largemouth bass,catfish,charales,carp,talapia or whitefish. the latter 5 species can be bought fresh at the Chapala Mercado.

26 minutes ago, ficklepie said:

Introducing an invasive fish to the lake which will drive the non-native species to extinction, as it has done all over the world. Yeah, wonderful idea.

Whoops, better get rid of all the talapia then and send them back to Africa . Oh,I forgot and the carp back to Europe and the catfish back to where-ever.  Then we'll have a few whitefish and tons of charales to eat.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:18 AM, Jim Bowie said:

I would be extremely interested in comments from extranjeros that regularly (or even once recently) eat these ":bass" from the lake. Any takers?

I have found a lot who talk a "big game" of eating fish regularly from the Lake and swimming in the Lake, but in my almost 20 years here have not encountered one person (let alone many people), who have ever done either. So, make my day with your own "personal" experiences.

You have encountered many people foreign and Mexican that swim in the lake unless you're a hermit and not only Mexicans buy from the fishmonger in the mercado and eat talapia and charales from vendors and restaurants.You may have even done so. As to the bass,they are a recent introduction and don't hang out all over the lake yet.You no doubt view another board where there are pics of largemouth being caught in the weeds off the Chapala beaches from 2 bass boats.

There are plenty of pics floating around[pun intended] of 3-4 years of groups of people,mainly foreigners on January 1 in a polar bear swim for 20 minutes to raise money for Cruz Roja.

2 hours ago, ficklepie said:

Introducing an invasive fish to the lake which will drive the non-native species to extinction, as it has done all over the world. Yeah, wonderful idea.

Seems to me, it is the humans who are the invasive species, with the same outcome as you describe.

AS I suspected, not one personal comment from any extranjero who regularly swims in the Lake, nor regularly eats fish from the Lake.  Nor, have I ever encountered one in all my years here. That tells me something.

4 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

That tells me something.

What - that typical "extraneros" here do not like to swim in 70 degree water, or their idea of fish is "seafood" - coming from the sea. Such delicacies as tuna, salmon, oysters, halibut, black cod, mahi, prawns, marlin, etc, etc. It does not include tilapia, at least to my taste, will never order it again, and fresh water "lobster", langostini, is a huge waste of money for very little flavour. I have never eaten a bass or catfish, but if that is what you Southern Boys crave - go for it. Not interested.

They should introduce some fresh water sharks from Lake Nicaragua -that would make life much more interesting.

7 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

AS I suspected, not one personal comment from any extranjero who regularly swims in the Lake, nor regularly eats fish from the Lake.  Nor, have I ever encountered one in all my years here. That tells me something.

Wrong,a few months ago I posted pics from my friend showing groups of foreigners cavorting in the lake more than once. They have been deleted, I believe, and the moderator has warned me not to post his name nor any of his pics. If anyone has eaten talapia in a local restaurant then they came from the lake. I waded off one of the pangas once and I can say that water was refreshing but probably higher in temp than 70. Another time some friends and I were having some refreshments at the Beer Garden during the hot season and 3 of them jumped in the lake for a swim. At that point they had had more margaritas than I had and were also younger.

More than once is not the same as swimming regularly.  The only people I've ever seen swimming in the lake with any frequency are Mexican and that is during the summer months when we have a lot of Tapatio visitors.  I think most of we expats prefer our water warmer and clearer.

Archived