Chapala.com Webboard

Americal Airline Tightening the Screws

sm1mex

This was on MSN (Sunday).

On Wednesday, American Airlines announced that its “no-frills” Basic Economy seats would go on sale Feb. 10 in some markets. If you buy one of these seats, you can only bring on a carry-on small enough to fit in the seat under you (if you bring any other bags, you must pay extra), will be among the last to board, will not be able to change or get a refund for your ticket or get same-day standby, and will have a seat assigned to you automatically. 

The basic economy seat is the cheapest price, but I take offend when I buy a cheaper seat and get discriminated against by not being to take a roller board for the over head bin and having to board last.  All seats get to the same destination, whether they are premium or economy.  The point is to get to your destination. People are now taking larger and larger roller boards to put in the bins so they don't have to pay for a checked luggage.  Many of them would never fit in the roller luggage crate at the gate.  Instead of being able to put the roller board in wheels or handle first, they are too large and have to go in side ways taking up the space for 2 regulation roller boards.

When I buy a cheaper seat I must abide by the rules established by the airlines in order to fly at a lower cost. This is not being "discriminated" against. If it was, then I would resent being discriminated against by not being allowed extra luggage, wider seats with more leg room, and better meals just because I bought coach tickets instead of first class.  I pay for tickets and live with the privilege or lack of it that comes with what I pay.

Guess I shouldn't have an opinion because I don't fly commercial anymore, but I always thought the overhead bins were designed for kids, a perfect place for kids on a plane, give a cheap rate and chuck the little beggars up there. Bags in the cargo hold, kids in the overhead, perfect solution.

Very funny, Giltner. If you do not fly commercially, do you use other flight options that you'd like to tell us about, other than buying a plane (which might not be a bad idea if one could get a number of people to go in together!)?

I am so old, I remember the days when you got dressed up to fly on a plane, no one questioned your luggage, porters were on hand to help with luggage, and everyone had matched suitcases. And everyone from the check-in to the crew to the baggage people were POLITE and respectful. (And rested!) Nowadays, flying is an exercise in patience, not to mention bladder control.

In November, United Airlines announced a similar program. They expect increases in profit of 4.8 billion annually, 1.0 Billion from addition seats sold at a cheaper price, 3.8 billion for charging for carry on luggage. If it works, other airlines will also follow model. So, those wanting to benefit from low fares better not bring on anything bigger than a back pack that will fit under their seat. Volaris does this and the costs are still much better than all US carriers I have used to fly to MX.

Not much different than what Volaris does.  They charge for a rollaboard and to reserve a seat.  When you check in at the airport they assign you a seat and you biloard in that group.  But if American assigns you a seat it doesn't really matter if you are in the last group ro board, especially if you didn't pay for the privilege if using the overhead bin.  If the bins are full but you paid for that privilege then it would be the flight attendant's job to find an overhead spot for your bag or to put it underneath, which then should mean the airlines refunds you that extra money you paid.

As a friend pointed out, getting on last is fine by me... who wants to get on first, get bumped by people and their bags, and wait to take off? And where can you get a refund on your ticket without paying extra? Seats pretty much now cost you money if you try to get one ahead of time, and I really don't care anyway. So the only thing I don't like is the tiny suitcase provision, but that's the price we pay, right.

Now I will have a real problem if they charge the same for no frills as they do for Economy now, but up the price for Economy, and think they can outsmart us. Sorta like reducing the size of that chocolate bar but keeping the larger package.

It seems to me to be a bit of a catch 22....everyone complains about extra fees increasing the bottom line of the carriers BUT no one wants to own stock in an airline that is not increasing the bottom line !?!?!?  Isn't that like wanting your cake and eating it too?

1 hour ago, Willie said:

It seems to me to be a bit of a catch 22....everyone complains about extra fees increasing the bottom line of the carriers BUT no one wants to own stock in an airline that is not increasing the bottom line !?!?!?  Isn't that like wanting your cake and eating it too?

You nailed it Willie. Airlines are not in the business to make us happy. It is all about the shareholder value.

I've always thought it totally discriminatory that I, weighing in at about 100 lbs, am limited to the same baggage allowance as the 250 pound gorda next to me. Think there should be a total weight allowance for passenger and baggage. The skinny, or average size people are in fact subsidizing the obese.

On 1/23/2017 at 8:40 PM, Joyfull said:

American & most of the other airlines allow you to check one 50 lb bag in and out of GDL for free. Doubt that will change with this new Basic Economy. 

I believe this has changed, even with regular coach class. If you wade through the AA baggage page below, I believe you will now pay $25 for bag #1, unless you are Aadvantage Platinum or better.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

This kind of reminds me of when we had our BnB in Ajijic. Guy rings the bell and asks to see our cheapest room. OK, we show him #2 which is small with 2 single beds. He goes through the usual routine of telling us he's on a strict budget, he's by himself so will only eat one breakfast and his dollar is weak. It's May and slow so I tell him he can have the room for $49 when it was always $60 regards of season. "You can't charge that much, it's low season". Super Salesman (me) is fumbling for an answer. "No sir, you don't understand. We get to set the rate, you get to decide if you want to pay it" says my wife. He didn't and thank God as he would have been the guest from Hell. Same with the airlines.

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I've always thought it totally discriminatory that I, weighing in at about 100 lbs, am limited to the same baggage allowance as the 250 pound gorda next to me. Think there should be a total weight allowance for passenger and baggage. The skinny, or average size people are in fact subsidizing the obese.

Why do you think heavier people should pay more?  Based on that theory the average male would have to pay more than the average female.  Or are you just applying this to women as you referred to "gorda"?

Well, we wanted cheap air fares and we got them along with cattle car travel conditions.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they start weighing us too.

Flying used to be a fun part of the vacation, now it is a misery to be endured.  At this point in our life there are few places worth flying to get to.  However, the packed planes make it clear that the majority of the traveling public doesn't agree with that point of view.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they start weighing us too.

I would be surprised, certainly not politically correct in these times.    How does the check in person decide that a "big person' needs to pay for 2 seats.   Isn't check in often done at a stand alone terminal without any airline person involved

Once upon a time, in the early days of commercial flight, both people and luggage were weighed and carefully distributed in the aircraft in order to keep it properly balanced and capable of flight.  The cost of fuel was pennies per gallon, but that was not the major concern. Now, it is, and we should each pay our fair share. Step on the scales, please.  After all, when you ship a package, it goes by air these days, and must be weighed and measured to determine the cost. Beyond a certain measurement, passengers may have to fly in wider seats; those are in first class.

Archived