Chapala.com Webboard

SOLAR PANEL COMPANY

JONA

My STI system continues to work very well and when we had a problem with the microinverters they took care of it.

We use microinverters because some of our panels are shaded when others are in the sun.  This setup allows the panels in the sun to make power even if the others don't.  It also has a very cool website that monitors production.

Our 18 panels are making about 24 kWh per day now even with a less than optimal angle of the sun.

The panels are Canadian Solar.

Actually, the system didn't fail, the problem was erratic performance due to the dirty electric power from CFE, with both frequency and voltage fluctuations outside of the Swiss design parameters.

The replacement setup cut the number of microinverters in half and has proved very tolerant of the power fluctuations.

Without using microinverters my power production would have been cut significantly because of the shadow problem.

All technology options have pros and cons, and good companies should offer and discuss all applicable options with their clients.

For many solar electric systems, the micro-inverter's numerous advantages include (as Mainecoons mentions):   higher production if one or more panels is shaded, the fact that if one fails, all the others continue to produce, the higher efficiency of producing AC power right at the panel, and the ability to easily monitor each panel individually, in real time, via the internet, thanks to the PLC (power line communication) protocol that is available and inexpensive.

Not knocking central inverters, at all, they work very well and can be more economical to install in larger systems.

12 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Actually, the system didn't fail, the problem was erratic performance due to the dirty electric power from CFE, with both frequency and voltage fluctuations outside of the Swiss design parameters.

Sounds like another reason to go off grid battery array with generator backup, versus grid tie. Plus the satisfaction of giving C.F.E the sparking middle finger. Do it right, or get out of my life - please, I beg your pardon.

My photo voltaic system was installed during reconstruction of my home in 2007-8.  Because we had many power outages in my neighborhood in those days, I chose to have a battery back up system installed. Since that time the only time I have had an actual power outage was during a 30 day period when I needed to order and then replace my 6 Volt Deep Cell golf cart batteries. I also installed 3 long metal posts into the ground to provide a very solid ground. Yes I have three phases, And somehow the two phases that are tied to my inverter produce not dirty but clean power. I do not remember whether I had to pay extra for a box to do this or whether the power is cleaned up when it goes through the inverter.

Considering how few power outages there are today, in my neighborhood, having a battery back up system doesn't make sense, but I sure do love it though.

On 1/20/2017 at 6:55 PM, MyHomeSweetHome said:

I highly recommend contacting Matt Neighbor at EcoSmarte 331-041-3456, he's a smart guy.  

http://www.energiaecosmart.com/home.html

Ha ha - you have to say that - because you are his Mom! But I believe you though. I'm thinking of batteries because I expect some major breakthroughs in electricity storage within the next few years. You are always a pioneer Pete - in your life and your businesses. Could you share with what a solar panel cost in 2007?

Sadly Chillin, I cannot remember. What I do know though, is that because of timing I got about a 50% discount or kind of sort of, To get the funds for this and other construction projects on my home I had to sell a large percentage of the stock that I owned.  Soon thereafter the stock market crashed and had I not sold extra stocks to pay for this system, those stocks would have been worth about half of what they were when I sold them.

By choice, I purchased more panels than was recommended. The recommended number of panels would simply have taken me out of DAC and lowered my power consumption so low that the cost per KWH would  be next to nothing or less than one peso per KWH. And buying the two extra panels that I did would take ten to 20 years to pay for themselves at these very low rates.

But I got those two extra panels and I love almost never using more power than I generated during a billing period. One is given credit for those extra KWHs he generates and I had quite a large reserve built up when my system was down during that battery replacement period, which I was able to use.

On 1/28/2017 at 2:53 PM, CHILLIN said:

Ha ha - you have to say that - because you are his Mom! But I believe you though. I'm thinking of batteries because I expect some major breakthroughs in electricity storage within the next few years. You are always a pioneer Pete - in your life and your businesses. Could you share with what a solar panel cost in 2007?

I didn't have to say anything....as his mother, I could have said a lot more.  He's handsome and witty and nice! :D   I'm proud that he went out on his own, he deserves it, he has the experience and he really loves solar!  It's his "thing." 

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2017 at 0:07 AM, Monessen said:

I used a company out of Guadalajara with reasonable prices. Mistake. The company seemed quite good and I used it on the recommendation of some friends. Wrong. The first few months were great but then I was up in the DAC again. I called to the company and they wanted me to check out the system on my own! I can't put two and two together never mind trying to trouble shoot the solar job. ....   . :(

If do not mind, will you pm me the name of the Guadalajara Solar company?  I have a bid from a company in Guadalajara on my desk now.

I would like to hear what your problem was, exactly. I have never heard of eSun not being able to fix anything at all. In fact, I regularly hear stories concering how they fix problems for other installations that are not even theirs.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:58 PM, El Saltos said:

Failure of one or more micro inverters proves one of the laws of systems which says the more components in a system the higher the probability of failure.  BTW, the probability goes up exponentially.

They didn't fail.  CFE fails.  A lot.

They were replaced by STI because the new ones can tolerate crappy power a whole lot better.  It cost me nothing, they came and did it willingly, the newer ones which are a later generation not only seem very robust but also increased panel production about 5 percent.

We are very satisfied with our STI system.  It covers our power consumption nearly 100 percent.  Remember, the sun doesn't always shine and the power production does vary with the season so don't try to design too close to the ideal target.  The cost per panel goes down drastically as you add more.

Also, remember you WILL have to maintain by periodic cleaning so make sure the installation facilitates cleaning.  If you have soft water try and include a hose bib as near to your panels as possible so you can clean them with soft water.  Otherwise, be sure and squeegee or wipe them dry so you won't end up with sun blocking water deposits 

One more year and our STI system has paid for itself.

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

Esun has told me that they will not service solar systems installed by STI.  And nowadays, they are becoming more reluctant to look at installations of other companies.  I have talked with 4 solar companies in the last couple of months and have doubts of all of them.  It would not surprise me if some of the many posts we see on solar on this webboard are actually posts by solar company sockpuppets.   These posters are as easy to pick out of the herd as picking rocks out of a kg of beans in Mexico.  Not a conspiracy theorist here, I do not subscribe to Alex Jones Infowars.  Just an observation.  Not verified fact.

Not surprised since STI cleans their clock both on price and technology.

STI is no fly by night.  They have some huge installations in this state.  Frankly, I'm surprised they screw with the small residential stuff given how big their commercial business is.

When we installed our system, neither E2 nor ESun could provide the micro inverters.  I'm assuming that is no longer the case.

BTW, anyone contemplating solar is welcome to come by and look at our 18 panel setup and the website that tracks performance on a panel level.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2017 at 1:22 PM, johanson said:

When I post about service with eSunEnergy, I was rebuilding my house when they first added panels and at the time they installed panels I only had room for some of them. Later when the remodel was completed, I added more panels.  Also I chose to put in a battery back up system something one doesn't usually do anymore. And when it came time to change the batteries they helped me do so.  With battery back, I can be totally independent of CFE and disconnect should I want to. Without battery back when CFE is down, your panels have to stop working so that they do not put electricity into the grid which would be dangerous for CFE employees trying to repair the grid

Now I have heard and I don't know if it is true that should you need Service, El Saltos, that because you purchased from E2 which doesn't exist anymore that, the new company would not be able to provide service free of charge. And that any guaranties were with the old Company not the new one. And since the old one doesn't exist anymore that you have guarantee.

I hope what I heard is not true and please correct me if it isn't

Hi, I just joined this board, and of course am very interested in the topic. I am the Lakeside representative of SmartPV, formerly e2Energias.  I just want to state the all E2Energias warranties were absorbed by the successor company, SmartPV, so no need to worry.  

I am very glad to hear that. Often the rumors we hear turn out to be wrong, And I must admit I feared the worst for those who bought  from old companies that are no longer in business.

I wish you and SmartPV the best. I did a Google search and wasn't sure what your webpage is. Could you please share it with us.

Thanks in advance, and sorry that I gave bad information above.

Archived