Chapala.com Webboard

How much do I pay my Cleaning Lady?

kosika

11 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Please share with us what you pay Spring Clean. With that information, many of us can make an informed inquiry without surprises.

I suggest that anyone interested in that service contact them for an individual quote.  They will come to your house, assess your needs and tell you what they would charge.  No obligation.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, gringal said:

I suggest that anyone interested in that service contact them for an individual quote.  They will come to your house, assess your needs and tell you what they would charge.  No obligation.

A nothing-burger.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, gringal said:

Now that is a real deal.  How long does it take her? How do people contact your cleaning lady?

She takes about four hours but stays until it is done.  She is totally honest and is known by my neighbor as such for 30+ years. We are in Chapala and I would be glad to have her contact anyone that is interested and speaks Spanish. PM me with contact info so I may relay it to her. I have no idea what her schedule is other than Thursday mornings at my place.

• Thanks 1

We pay our cleaning lady $250.00 pesos plus a yearly bonus and extras for her 2 children for about 7 to 8 hours and I pick her up and drop her off at home and she eats a meal with us. She only comes when we call her about 2X per month and before and after we have vistors staying here or are having a party. Our waiter/cook gets $500.00 pesos for about 6 hours when we are having a dinner party.

I pay Spring Clean 350 pesos per 4 hours.  Out of this sum, Spring Clean pays aguinaldo and vacation.   She doesn't do my laundry or wash dishes like my private housekeeper did but on the other hand, it is strictly a business arrangement and not personal.

About the earlier conversation on pay raises.  I remember when 25 cents an hour raise was acceptable.  I look at the rate of inflation and pay at least that amount in a raise every year.  But don't believe the govt. numbers; they have a vested interest in showing the numbers to be low.

5 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I pay Spring Clean 350 pesos per 4 hours.  Out of this sum, Spring Clean pays aguinaldo and vacation.   She doesn't do my laundry or wash dishes like my private housekeeper did but on the other hand, it is strictly a business arrangement and not personal.

Thank you very much for the information. Considering that cost includes insurance, aguinaldo, supplies, etc etc. it puts into perspective what one could/might/may pay a maid.

In my current situation I am paying our maid 750 p a week for 15 hours, and she has recently asked me to consider providing IMSS--that is another 35% contribution on top of her 750--which would bring me to 1000 p weekly for 15 hours, or 67 p an hour AND my paying the aguinaldo, vacation, frequent gifts, and outlay of cleaning supplies. She is a great maid, but I am worried that if the peso should ever go down to where it was ten years ago---9 to the dollar--then there is no way I could afford to maintain her services.  At least with Spring Clean I can cut back hours if my financial situation changes.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bdmowers said:

Just curious, what is this, please?    YMMV

I see abbreviations for many expressions these days. The younger generation knows most to many of them. Me? I have to look them up on Google Search more than I want to admit.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I see abbreviations for many expressions these days. The younger generation knows most to many of them. Me? I have to look them up on Google Search more than I want to admit.

Found it!  The internet says, "written abbreviation for your mileage may vary: used, for example on social media and in text messages and emails, to mean that you understand people may have a different opinion or experience to yours." 

Now, maybe I`ll be able to begin to understand the new English!

What is the local Spanish word for housekeeper?  The dictionary says, "criada".  Anyone know if that`s the local word?

10 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

A nothing-burger.

With fries. 

Ya gota remember this "maid" may just have a score of friends who do the same work.  She will know what the job is worth.  Quote low and you're a dog .. in a small community of folks who live to gossip.  Quote high and you're a sucker.   Personally I hate making deals with the locals.  They are wired differently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Thank you very much for the information. Considering that cost includes insurance, aguinaldo, supplies, etc etc. it puts into perspective what one could/might/may pay a maid.

In my current situation I am paying our maid 750 p a week for 15 hours, and she has recently asked me to consider providing IMSS--that is another 35% contribution on top of her 750--which would bring me to 1000 p weekly for 15 hours, or 67 p an hour AND my paying the aguinaldo, vacation, frequent gifts, and outlay of cleaning supplies. She is a great maid, but I am worried that if the peso should ever go down to where it was ten years ago---9 to the dollar--then there is no way I could afford to maintain her services.  At least with Spring Clean I can cut back hours if my financial situation changes.

If you decide to let your housekeeper go and hire Spring Clean, remember that because you are firing her without cause, you are liable under Mexican Labor Law to pay her a finiquito.  You'll need to figure out (based on labor law) exactly how much that is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bdmowers said:

What is the local Spanish word for housekeeper?  The dictionary says, "criada".  Anyone know if that`s the local word?

With upmost respect, ama de casa.  When introduced, mi amiga xxxxxx.  But I don't know squat about local cause those Lakesider employees have come from any number of places looking for work.