Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala Malacon monstrosity

I'm laughing, ericur, because a lot of these comments harken back to my great-grandparents "I had to walk 30 miles through volcano eruptions and civil war battalions to get to my job cleaning out the hotel honeypots for a dollar a year"...

No argument there, but just acknowledging the fact that it is not easy to maintain a road on moving mud.  I think that you are very cognizant of that fact, as well.  The main intersection in Chapala is a chronic problem with sinking pavement whenever it rains. Perhaps the site of a subterranean spring?

Yup....way back when Lake Chapala was a salty inland sea which covered quite a large area.  Then, it dried up, the land shifted west of Jocotopec, damming up what is now the lake, changing the paths of rivers, flushing out the salt, making the water shallow & fresh, then drowning that poor mastadon in the mud.

For those that are worried our tax pesos are going to be missued, tonight I saw a new banner hanging from the kiosko in the Chapala plaza from the Chapala government that should put those worries to rest, it said "Gracias por sus pagos, ya podemos empezar a transformar a Chapala." Or thanks for your payments, now we can begin to transform Chapala.

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Really, RV, you feel that fixing the roads and the extreme water leaks is a fantasy upgrade?

And your definition of "new" is a little out of perspective anyone who has lived here since the 80s.... that road was built before then.

I studied in Guadalajara in 1975 and would come out to San Juan Cosala to the balneario.  I remember taking transportation to Chapala then catching another bus to SJC that definitely took the carretera that still exists and obviously has for at least 40 years.  If I remember correctly, Chapala's main street wasn't paved back then.

That's a good reminder, thanks for posting it.  Among other things it reminds us that this boondoggle was given 3.5 million pesos from the "municipal coffers" of a municipio with worn out trash trucks and pot hole ridden streets.

In other words, those who criticize this as a classic example of the mis-spending of our tax dollars do have a point.

38 minutes ago, Aquaponicsman said:

Does anyone have a picture they can post? I have not gotten out of the car to walk around the Malecon lately, nor do I typically drive past that area.

Go to Chapala Municipo or Javier Degollado  on facebook and you will see plenty of pics and vids on this and many other projects completed and in progress. Some info about who is funding what as well and even some peso amounts.

Archived