Chapala.com Webboard

Passing on the libramiento

ibarra

My husband was pulled over this morning for passing a motor scooter going really slow on the libramiento.  He pulled into the tire sales place but the officer made him go to the turning lanes by the entrance to the school.  The officer stated, in English that there are cameras at the tire store. Once the vehicle was moved, the officer said the ticket would be 600 pesos or my husband could pay him 300 then and there. I guess that explains why he didn't want to be parked in view of cameras. 
So, beware of passing and mordida attempts.

Had to be a scum punk. Should have stayed at the tire place and phone 060 as an attempted extortion in progress. Let them find out it was one of their own when they show up. Video would be good evidence against the inevitable denial. My god, some people have no class, at least in the sixties, U.S. and U.K., it was selling tickets to the policeman's ball, or sending poor kids to the circus.

If the op passed on a solid line he can get a ticket.   The transito simply asked which he'd prefer, a ticket or a mordido.   All the op had to do was ask for the ticket.   Instead he commited another offence by giving the bribe.  

Wow, you must get stopped by a different guy than I ever was. I always used to ask for the ticket and the usual response was laughter. When I said ticket or I'm leaving I was told I am not going anywhere, one guy in Guadalajara pulled his pistol to show he meant business. Remember the forms that you could get at LCS to record badge numbers, etc? Had one of those snatched from my hands. Not been stopped in 8 years in PV I still drive the same but the cops here are much more laid back.

First of all

1 hour ago, El Cartero said:

If the op passed on a solid line he can get a ticket.   The transito simply asked which he'd prefer, a ticket or a mordido.   All the op had to do was ask for the ticket.   Instead he commited another offence by giving the bribe. 

First of all, do we know how much experience the OP has with transitos around here? Everyone gets nailed the first time or two. Second, there is no 600 peso ticket for that offense, so he was not "offering a choice"... he was playing on the fear. They always inflate the price when they are talking to you.

10 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Just curious, if you ask for the ticket do you get one?

I quit paying the bribes 14 years ago and demand the folio. They either give me a ticket or let me go so they can find a sucker. This even worked a couple of times on MX Hwy2 between Hwy and Columbia. I refused to pay and said folio por favor. The said since I wasn't local I would have to go right then to Nuevo Laredo and pay the judge. I stood my ground and we all turned around and headed east. After a kilometer they pulled over and asked again for a mordita and I refuse to pay. After driving another kilometer they pulled  over again and I said boleto por favor and they handed my license back and said adios they did not want to leave such a great speed trap spot.

I always hated to pay the 50 or 100 pesos to the crooks also but when my wife pointed to the Pemex station and said she needed to go and I told the cop we could continue our discussion there, he said in perfect English "You're not going anywhere" and pulled his pistola although he never pointed it at me. So I gave him the 100 pesos and got my better half to the potty in time. That one was an easy call, had I been alone we might have had a different outcome. He was sloppy and once he put his gun away turned his back to me several times. It would have been easy but I would probably still be in jail.

14 hours ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Not exactly relevant to the op posting but when I was waiting for the bus across from the Instituto, I observed a transito cop eating his lunch across the street on the libramiento.  When he was finished eating he drove off and tossed his trash out the window onto the street...oh, and he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Was he also talking on his cell phone?  I have seen both policias and transito cops do that.  The other day the policia pickup was tailgating another vehicle while talking on his cell phone.  I always say I wish I could do half the things the police and bus drivers do. 

The transitos are the absolute worst offenders... zipping in and out of traffic, using sirens to get through red lights at lunchtime (I presume), cutting corners when turning, speeding, not using signal lights, passing on the inside... you name it. Not to mention going through caution and red lights.

Dash Cam, dash cam, dash cam!!!   You can even get a system that will upload all videos to the internet live!!!  Even if you don't have that, you can always tell them that your video is being saved to the internet (lie) and watch how his demeanor will change. A dash cam records voice and video and you can have more than one to record rear, front and even driver window. Well worth the investment, not just for dishonest cops, but also for accidents. I applaud those that stood their ground!!!  Good for you!!

Flashing the gun AND asking for a mordida sounds like grounds for automatic termination. I don't think any cop will shoot someone over refusing to pay a mordida. It has never happened and I doubt that they will start doing that now. Can you imagine the headlines even if it were to happen?

The formula is simple; Smile...Express regret for your offense...Say you will gladly pay the fine for the offense...Ask for the ticket....Smile...Ask for the ticket.   Never received a ticket, never paid mordida over 40 years. Have been stopped by Federal, SPL speed trap, and transitos.  Oh I agree on the dash cam. If you're in an accident it's good as gold.

Sorry to sound naive - but do transitos even carry guns? I would be surprised, and a little bit afraid, sort of like when Deputy Barney Fife arrests the bank robbers in Mayberry. He pulls his gun, makes the arrest, and then we find out he only has one bullet, and it is still in his shirt pocket. My Hero -Deputy Barney Fife - a brave man. Mexican small town transitos - a situation comedy ready to be plucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsg0EvZozI

Archived