Chapala.com Webboard

partial dentures

mexart

12 hours ago, mexart said:

Unfortunately the bridge I had made last spring failed and now I'm looking at a partial denture. Who do you recommend for a partial and extractions...how much time between extraction and casting and a mold?

Ideally you should wait as long as you can for tissue to heal and bone to resorb after the extractions before you take the impressions for the permanent partial.  This is an appliance made of composite or acrylic teeth, pink acrylic denture base plastic processed onto a metal framework made of chromium cobalt.  An interim option is to first get a Temporary Removable Partial Denture made of plastic teeth and all pink acrylic plastic (no metal frame) and possibly a couple wires to clasp your own existing teeth.  This can be done 2 ways.  As an immediate where dentist takes an impression of you before extractions and sends it to lab to be processed and when you return, extracts teeth and inserts the TRPD at that time.  This way you do not go without teeth.  Other way is to extract the teeth first, take the impression and then wait for the TRPD to be processed and returned.  Here you go without teeth until your TRPD is being made.  With both these TRPD options you will need to return for a reline to compensate for the shrinking of the tissue during healing to "tighten" the appliance so it fits correctly.  You should wait at least 6 months before you go back for the reline though waiting longer is better to make sure you get the most healing and resorbtion possible before the reline to guarantee the best long term fit.  After a year you should be completely healed and bone should be maximally resorbed.  This process could also be done with the permanent partial with framework but I would not recommend it since it might never be an optimally fitting partial.  Always good to reserve the permanent partial until you are completely healed and resorbed for the best possible results.  And also, even though the all plastic partials are referred  to as "temporary" many people wear them for years as their permanent appliance and they work fine.  But in general the partial framework will last longer than the "temporary" all plastic partial. 

As far as a dentist, I've personally have met Eloy Barragan and he is on par with the best high end dentists in the US but I know nothing of the labs he uses and have not seen any examples of his lab's work so I can't vouch for that.  But being the conscientious dentist that Dr. Eloy is, the assumption is that he must be using a good lab.  I've visited other dentist Lakeside and have been horrified by what I saw and finding Eloy (thanks to this board) renewed my faith in that it's possible to find quality dentistry in Mexico.

I'm the owner of a high end dental laboratory in the US with 33 years of experience as a dental laboratory technician.

Eloy's office is in Mirasol on the right hand side of the carretera as you head towards Chapala shortly after passing the Walmart.  His number: (376) 765-5584  Good Luck! 

1 minute ago, pedro malo said:

Ideally you should wait as long as you can for tissue to heal and bone to resorb after the extractions before you take the impressions for the permanent partial.  This is an appliance made of composite or acrylic teeth, pink acrylic denture base plastic processed onto a metal framework made of chromium cobalt.  An interim option is to first get a Temporary Removable Partial Denture made of plastic teeth and all pink acrylic plastic (no metal frame) and possibly a couple wires to clasp your own existing teeth.  This can be done 2 ways.  As an immediate where dentist takes an impression of you before extractions and sends it to lab to be processed and when you return, extracts teeth and inserts the TRPD at that time.  This way you do not go without teeth.  Other way is to extract the teeth first, take the impression and then wait for the TRPD to be processed and returned.  Here you go without teeth until your TRPD is being made.  With both these TRPD options you will need to return for a reline to compensate for the shrinking of the tissue during healing to "tighten" the appliance so it fits correctly.  You should wait at least 6 months before you go back for the reline though waiting longer is better to make sure you get the most healing and resorbtion possible before the reline to guarantee the best long term fit.  After a year you should be completely healed and bone should be maximally resorbed.  This process could also be done with the permanent partial with framework but I would not recommend it since it might never be an optimally fitting partial.  Always good to reserve the permanent partial until you are completely healed and resorbed for the best possible results.  And also, even though the all plastic partials are referred  to as "temporary" many people wear them for years as their permanent appliance and they work fine.  But in general the partial framework will last longer than the "temporary" all plastic partial. 

As far as a dentist, I've personally have met Eloy Barragan and he is on par with the best high end dentists in the US but I know nothing of the labs he uses and have not seen any examples of his lab's work so I can't vouch for that.  But being the conscientious dentist that Dr. Eloy is, the assumption is that he must be using a good lab.  I've visited other dentist Lakeside and have been horrified by what I saw and finding Eloy (thanks to this board) renewed my faith in that it's possible to find quality dentistry in Mexico.

I'm the owner of a high end dental laboratory in the US with 33 years of experience as a dental laboratory technician.

Eloy's office is in Mirasol on the right hand side of the carretera as you head towards Chapala shortly after passing the Walmart.  His number: (376) 765-5584  Good Luck! 

To answer you question as to turn around time between impressions and delivery, it varies from lab to lab but it usually is 2 to 3 weeks.  Generally, the faster the turn around, the cheaper the quality of the lab but there can be exceptions to this rule. 

4 hours ago, bigd said:

Maybe 2-3 weeks turn around in the US but 2-3 days here.

That's what I'm afraid of.  I know exactly what it takes to make these things and exactly how they are being made to be able to turn around in 2 days.  You can not process appliances using quality materials in 2 days.  You can using cold cure, poorly fitting acrylics that will poison you with the release of free monomer into your system though.

I second the implant recommendation if you can afford it.  Here it would cost you 5K each, they are a bargain down there!

1 minute ago, pedro malo said:

That's what I'm afraid of.  I know exactly what it takes to make these things and exactly how they are being made to be able to turn around in 2 days.  You can not process appliances using quality materials in 2 days.  You can using cold cure, poorly fitting acrylics that will poison you with the release of free monomer into your system though.

I second the implant recommendation if you can afford it.  Here it would cost you 5K each, they are a bargain down there!

Sorry, guess I "third" the implant recommendation!

• 2 months later...

Archived