Chapala.com Webboard

St. Remy du Lac

PULELEHUA

Bread stale and dry. Pepper steak had been defrosred in a mictowave oven and was served ice cold in center. Escargots were tiny and onion soup only average. Loved my meals when Remy's was at Tres Leones but something has changed. If that's not enough for you, suggest you go waste your money and findout for yourself. 

Might not be a good idea for 10 people to go anywhere. Some of you remember a poster here, Newinajijic, who used to post a lot of restaurant reviews when his group of 14 or 16 would descend on a restaurant. Most of his reviews were bad. Wonder why! I know a number of restaurants NOB that will not seat more than 6 at a table. 

7 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Might not be a good idea for 10 people to go anywhere. Some of you remember a poster here, Newinajijic, who used to post a lot of restaurant reviews when his group of 14 or 16 would descend on a restaurant. Most of his reviews were bad. Wonder why! I know a number of restaurants NOB that will not seat more than 6 at a table. 

I agree with you there.  Getting a meal for that large a group is not something most local kitchens are ready for, when the norm is two or four to a table.  However, that's no excuse for stale bread or blah soup, let alone meat that's cold in the middle.

Again, I see the point, but cannot agree. Many tables at a restaurant could be full at any time. 10 together is not much different than 10 apart, and a QUALITY kitchen and chef and staff should be able to provide. Cocinart does it all the time, and doesn't charge heavenly prices. A place like St. Remy, charging those kind of prices, should easily be able to accomodate. That's one of the reasons for the pricey meals in the first place, no?

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Again, I see the point, but cannot agree. Many tables at a restaurant could be full at any time. 10 together is not much different than 10 apart, and a QUALITY kitchen and chef and staff should be able to provide. Cocinart does it all the time, and doesn't charge heavenly prices. A place like St. Remy, charging those kind of prices, should easily be able to accomodate. That's one of the reasons for the pricey meals in the first place, no?

Just a dash of nitpicking.  There is a difference in serving 3 tables of 4 than one table of 12.  The kitchen only has to make sure that each table of 4 is served all at once, at the right temperature.  Another story on having 12 at one table.

I also agree that Cocinart is one place that does things right and at very reasonable prices.  The only problem there now is finding a seat.  No seats when we arrived at noon, so we meandered over to Tabarka, where it's very pleasant although S L O W. Excellent food at a reasonable price. 'Tis a wonderful thing to have two such good eateries within walking distance and being able to avoid downtown this weekend.

Re prices in general:   Some restauranteurs are a bit full of themselves and the relationship between the food and the price can be tenuous at best.

1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

Have Tabarka moved?  Walking distance to Cocinart?

Yes, walking distance.  They are across the street on Ramon Corona from the old Simply Thai restaurant, about a half block from LCS. Very nice setting in a garden and more variety in the menu.  Excellent chicken, pork and beef dishes along with the fish.  It's where the Argentine restaurant was until January.

Archived