Chapala.com Webboard

Alex's Pasta Bar

Kyle

Went last night as we love the atmosphere.  I had clam sauce , not a clam in sight, just cream sauce.  I told two of the waitress' both said they could tell the chef, and that was it..  I did not send it back as I didn't want my husband to eat by himself while I waited for a new dish.  Anyone else have this dish with the same experience or did I just get a bad pot of sauce?

his ex waiter ricardo and ex cook gloria are opening a restaurant soon on the southwest corner of constitution and miguel blanco in ajijic. it will not be italian food, regional mexican food they say?? i ate at alex's in november, noticed the cook gloria was not cooking, he said she was off that day, apparently since the 23rd of sept she has been gone. the food was mediocre. 

I have never had a bad experience at Alex's.  Whenever we go, which is once or twice a week, he always greets everyone with a big smile and a chat, if you wish.  In fact, he goes around to all the tables to make sure that everyone is pleased with their food.  I find his dishes are excellent.  Obviously, mistakes can be made at times, but Alex and the staff will make it right (you just have to ask).

I do ask, and thus the Mr. Grumpy name. Actually, it's based on him going "around to all the tables to make sure everyone is pleased". We were not, and that's when the bad mans appeared. And, on more than one occasion. Heaven help you if you are waiting for a to-go order and get too close to the bar.

I have never understood why anyone would patronize a place with which they were dissatisfied.

For me, once is enough.

For others, maybe twice.

But, more than that?

Maybe, they do it so that they will have an excuse to complain about something.

You've never read the patronizing advice on this board? ie: "Going just once is dumb, because they had a bad night." "Going just twice is dumb, because they probably had another bad night." "Oh, it used to be bad, but now it's good, so if you don't go, you're dumb." "I go there twice a week and always have good food and good service."

But more than that, friends who haven't been to said places, invite you to lunch; or a group of people asks you to go along. Or that's where the Christmas party is going to be.

QUOTE: " Maybe, they do it so that they will have an excuse to complain about something." Maybe, some people think they know more than others, and that we hang on this board so we can get advice... things we haven't learned in our 60 or 70 years.

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I do ask, and thus the Mr. Grumpy name. Actually, it's based on him going "around to all the tables to make sure everyone is pleased". We were not, and that's when the bad mans appeared. And, on more than one occasion. Heaven help you if you are waiting for a to-go order and get too close to the bar.

I'm sorry that you haven't had a good experience there.  I'm just stating that Alex has always greeted us with a smile, and he'll sit down and chat with us.  Maybe it's because we always greet him with a smile and say hello!  I've never seen him grumpy.

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Sue, CG pointed out that Alex's attitude changed when they said everything was not fine. It is possible that Alex is charming as long as everything is good but does not handle criticism well.  It is possible.

Yes, it is possible, but when we've had a problem with any food or service, he always has been very gracious and helpful with us, not grumpy in the least.  That's been my experience, and we go there at least once or twice a week.

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

Yes, it is possible, but when we've had a problem with any food or service, he always has been very gracious and helpful with us, not grumpy in the least.  That's been my experience, and we go there at least once or twice a week.

What sort of food/service problems have you discussed with him?

I had the worst lasagne ever at Alex's.  It was actually unrecognizable..The pasta was so overcooked I thought it was the cheese a sit was soft and mushy.

He was totally unpleasant when shown the mess it was...  Another person who had the lasagne the same day ran into the same scenario, awful lasagne and unpleasant owner.

Unlike Sue Garn who continues to revisit places when things are not right and tell you it must have been a bad day or they were so nice about making changes, I do not return.

Sue obviously has had more than one bad experience at Alex's as she mentions how nice he is when she has a problem with food or service.

I didn't say that I had a 'bad' experience.  All I said was that if there was ever an issue with anything, Alex or the staff would fix it quietly and with a smile.  It's been just a couple of minor hiccups (once the meal wasn't quite hot enough, and they made a fresh plate for me instead of just microwaving it).  Given the amount of times that we've dined there with great food and service, it's definitely one of our favorite places to dine.  He's obviously doing something right, because the restaurant is # 7 of 107 Ajijic restaurants on TripAdvisor.

Archived