Chapala.com Webboard

First:     Ladies:   do not ever leave your purse in the shopping cart...and especially NOT open!  While my friend was distracted...her wallet was swiftly lifted out of her bag.   The trick was...a man took her two large bottles of pop/soda OUT of her cart..then put them back in..while she stood in stunned awe at what he was doing.  Turns out that his 'partner in crime' was lifting her wallet during this scenario!!  Now too bad she had her purse in her cart...but watch out.  

Second:   A specific wine was labelled selling at 2/$169...but the entire pyramid was not that variety at all!!!  One could easily assume the sale price applied to the ones stacked there...but nada.   I asked a salesperson to find what was advertised...she had no clue...so I suggested she remove the sale price tag...which she did for the moment I stood there.  Later I found that variety on a different aisle totally!!!   Very annoying to feel cheated by this store....where already supplies and neatness are sadly going downhill fast!  

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is so hard to tell at Walmart what the price is on things.  Often the price below the shelved items is for another product.  I try to read the price label says the item is but it's hard to read the abbreviations sometimes.  I just got back from Walmart where I chose a lightweight fleece jacket.  The sign above the jackets, which were hung on a wall, said $298 but the price tags all said $188.  It did ring up at $188.  Posting a higher price certainly discourages people from buying, I would think.  

Maybe it's time for a concerted effort to make comments to the Mexican Walmart headquarters about how our local Walmart has declined in recent months.  Did I see a terminal on one of the checkout stands for customers to enter opinions?   I do like that they now have elderly people, mostly women, bagging most of the time.  They seem to understand better that some of us of the "third age" don't have the strength to carry bags with all the milk, cans, etc in the same bag.  These ladies seem to have a better grasp of balancing the weight.  Not perfect but an improvement.

I too, like the fact that seniors are getting these jobs, like at Soriana. but "a better grasp"? Not hardly. Today I bought six bottles of pop. Every bottle made it into one bag. I bought several heavy jars of stuff. All jars in one bag. I have tried to reason with them, but it is pointless.

Computer Guy, just go around to the end of the counter, grab a couple of bags, and rearrange your stuff--maybe the baggers will get the message. Me, I have not had a problem, the elderly lady baggers I encounter at WalMart do a terrific job, doubling bags when necessary, and putting like items into bags. I try to always thank them, smile at them, and fork over 10 pesos, which is appreciatively pocketed. I feel bad for them, wish they had well-off kids to support them in their old age, but hey, who among us is supported by our kids??? I'm just glad I don't have to be a bagger at WalMart, but never say never, who knows what the future may bring?

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I too, like the fact that seniors are getting these jobs, like at Soriana. but "a better grasp"? Not hardly. Today I bought six bottles of pop. Every bottle made it into one bag. I bought several heavy jars of stuff. All jars in one bag. I have tried to reason with them, but it is pointless.

You probably look less feeble than I do ?.  I think the old ladies take pity on me.  Seriously, their bagging skills do vary but I think they do a better job than the kids.  I asked a cashier once, when all baggers were kids, who trained them how to bag.  She looked at me like I was from Mars.  It doesn't help that Walmart's bags are thin and flimsy.  Put four tetra pak milks in one of those and you're asking for dusaster.

Although Walmart and Soriana are the biggest offenders, it is shocking that any of you will even accept plastic bags at all - never mind double bagging! I have no need to tell you why....

i always have a string bag, (ideal for produce), a bottle bag, (for jars, milk or juice),  and a sturdy basket for bulky stuff. Everything is organized, upright and secure. The baggers are always fascinated and catch on quickly how to load the compartments. Big smiles, easy-peasy.

17 hours ago, tzevi said:

Although Walmart and Soriana are the biggest offenders, it is shocking that any of you will even accept plastic bags at all - never mind double bagging! I have no need to tell you why....

i always have a string bag, (ideal for produce), a bottle bag, (for jars, milk or juice),  and a sturdy basket for bulky stuff. Everything is organized, upright and secure. The baggers are always fascinated and catch on quickly how to load the compartments. Big smiles, easy-peasy.

Good point but make sure you clean your cloth grocery bags or whatever.  Its been discovered many bags are quite dirty.  I reuse the plastic bags for all kinds of uses also but do get your point.

On 12/19/2016 at 7:06 PM, NanaG said:

I either get them to double-bag heavier items, or I repack it myself once I've cleared through the checkout.  And I always tip them 10 pesos.

Hum, cashiers make what, 12 to 15 pesos per hour, and you tip the baggers 10 pesos for 1 to 2 minutes of work....tipping 2 pesos for bagging is reasonable, not 10!

Really??  If you based tips on salary here...it would be silly to even tip...I heard that the baggers ONLY get tips..no wage!!!  In any case....what about generosity of heart???   We who can should help those who can't....

And now I suppose a debate will start..............         Tip what your heart tells you...help those who need it.......     

Some companies give cloth bags away: they are also available at a reasonable price on the way to the check out station.  I always bring enough to hold the groceries.  Produce does go in a plastic bag: what else are you going to do with it so it can be easily weighed ? 

Tipping:  I'll go along with "what your heart tells", but 10 pesos does sound like an oversized heart.:rolleyes:

Why am I getting shamed for tipping 10 pesos?  That's less than 50 cents US!  I'm not the first one to mention giving that size of tip on this thread.  

And what's wrong with having an oversized heart?  These women are on their feet for hours, trying to bag items properly while the cashier is sliding everything toward them in a big heap.  I appreciate what they do.

My point being that fairness is not tipping a bagger so much that they make the salaries of the cashiers and stockers, who are also on their feet for many hours, look even more ludicrous.  I understand wanting to pass along some wealth, but it is not fair to those who do not receive tips.  What about the husbands who make little per hour working hard physically demanding jobs and their mothers or children come home from bagging and they made more money in a few hours than the men did who worked their butts off all day?!  Yes, yes, the money goes towards the family, but the hurt, anger and humiliation of the fathers or sons.......?  

The problem is not the tipping, it's Walmart exploiting their employees and paying them well BELOW living wages even here in Mexico where you can live cheaper. 

This crap only breeds unqualified unhappy people behind those cash registers and does not promote competition. And then we wonder why we don't get fast service here. 

Yeah, the problem in the first place is that the foreigners here are supporting the corporate exploitation of humans by shopping at WalMart, a worse offense than shopping at one in the US. Do you think they'd be able to hire baggers at US Walmarts and not pay them? Of course not. But here in Mexico they will, because they can get away with it.

Monica, you already have your pension, I'm guessing. Obviously the old 80-year-old ladies bagging crap for free don't. If you want to talk about being fair, then don't shop at one of the worst corporations in the world, doing all they can to exploit Mexico's labor laws, or lack thereof.

OMG !    Tipping the baggers is custom.  It is their only renumeration.  10 pesos is the perfect amount for the average household order.    Nana you dont have an enlarged heart - you are the norm.   Any other speculation or opinion that does not reflect personal experience is not relevant.   

47 minutes ago, monica40 said:

My point being that fairness is not tipping a bagger so much that they make the salaries of the cashiers and stockers, who are also on their feet for many hours, look even more ludicrous.  I understand wanting to pass along some wealth, but it is not fair to those who do not receive tips.  What about the husbands who make little per hour working hard physically demanding jobs and their mothers or children come home from bagging and they made more money in a few hours than the men did who worked their butts off all day?!  Yes, yes, the money goes towards the family, but the hurt, anger and humiliation of the fathers or sons.......?  

So tip hardly anything so nobody makes decent money.  Keep everyone poorer.  

17 hours ago, lcscats said:

Good point but make sure you clean your cloth grocery bags or whatever.  Its been discovered many bags are quite dirty.  I reuse the plastic bags for all kinds of uses also but do get your point.

Regular laundering of cloth bags keeps them fresh, clean and ready for shopping.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Some companies give cloth bags away: they are also available at a reasonable price on the way to the check out station.  I always bring enough to hold the groceries.  Produce does go in a plastic bag: what else are you going to do with it so it can be easily weighed ? 

Tipping:  I'll go along with "what your heart tells", but 10 pesos does sound like an oversized heart.:rolleyes:

Re produce to be weighed, I do use a few flimsy bags offered on rolls to separate produce but in measured number - only what I need to reuse to line a small bucket for organic matter in the kitchen for peelings etc. If I'm buying avocados, I won't take a bag. This practice has been ingrained for some decades and now some northern supermarkets will charge for bags. That makes you remember to come equipped with your own bagging materials. Some supermarkets will offer a returnable box which makes your packing easy too.

My familiar and elderly Soriana packers seem to easily identify with my logic and light up when they see me coming with my basket, string bag and bottle bag. They just know what to do - often with a flurry of exclamations on how clever and simplistic.

What a paradox that years ago, Mexicans would go shopping with a basket in hand and now lagging so far behind being the worst offenders for the use of plastic which ends up in the lake in the stomachs of fish or on land in the stomachs of animals which is not digestible. 

I recycle my plastic bags (after checking for holes) to pick up the dog poop before the gardener arrives. I recycle quite a lot that way.

2 hours ago, monica40 said:

OMG

But the point is that at least the cashiers and other workers anywhere are getting SOME payment...the baggers are not!!  Good grief..have a little just a little bit of compassion and generosity.  This is Mexico...not all things are fair or right...we can only do what we KNOW to be right and good and do our best to help.  If you don't that's your choice...but not reprimand or shame those who CHOOSE to do the more generous thing! 

WE who have so much really must share and remember those who do not.....    Or not...but drop the shaming remarks and attitude to those  who do.

Pappysmarket...you are comparing apples to oranges...regarding men who work hard for less, etc etc...this is about people not getting any pay by the exploitive  Walmart...not about how hard they work or how old they are!!!   

Its very simple...human kindness and respect for others choices!!!    

Archived