Chapala.com Webboard

bank question

virgogirl

I tried searching, but had no luck. Need to open a savings. I've eliminated Bancomer and HSBC from my options. Does anyone know what the minimum balance is a Banamex or CIBanco to maintaIn a savings for free or very low fees? 

I went to Intercambio. Had a PM suggestion it. 10 mil peso minimum. Went to CIBanco, because I usually use ATM there and used them for money transfers when living in GDL. They said 20mil peso minimum. I also don't think the service is NOT  as good as it used to be. Weird vibe, but best place to pull pesos ATM. I went to O'rourke. Job done., I started a savings for 3000 pesos. I don't need to do the SocialSecurity there. Keeping that in states. I have a permanent address with my son, so SS has that address consistent with my local bank there. I'm afraid Trump may mess with folks, like saying you can't get your SS directed to a Mexican bank. so not going to that route. I need the account to save for work permit fees, 3,600, lawyer fees, who knows, and travel to laredo by bus to initiate the process Probably stay one night in hotel. I really don't relish the idea of taking a bus, seeing the consulate, and then getting back on the bus.  I have only been in my job three weeks, it is proving to be good. But I needed to budget for these upcoming things.

Thanks for the O'rourke referral. I spoke with Susan, fluent in English, kind, fast and efficient.

Teresa

18 hours ago, virgogirl said:

I went to Intercambio. Had a PM suggestion it. 10 mil peso minimum. Went to CIBanco, because I usually use ATM there and used them for money transfers when living in GDL. They said 20mil peso minimum. I also don't think the service is NOT  as good as it used to be. Weird vibe, but best place to pull pesos ATM. I went to O'rourke. Job done., I started a savings for 3000 pesos. I don't need to do the SocialSecurity there. Keeping that in states. I have a permanent address with my son, so SS has that address consistent with my local bank there. I'm afraid Trump may mess with folks, like saying you can't get your SS directed to a Mexican bank. so not going to that route. I need the account to save for work permit fees, 3,600, lawyer fees, who knows, and travel to laredo by bus to initiate the process Probably stay one night in hotel. I really don't relish the idea of taking a bus, seeing the consulate, and then getting back on the bus.  I have only been in my job three weeks, it is proving to be good. But I needed to budget for these upcoming things.

Thanks for the O'rourke referral. I spoke with Susan, fluent in English, kind, fast and efficient.

Teresa

Interesting. I opened an account at Intercam less than a month ago with 1,000 pesos and was told there was no minimum required to avoid service fees. I love the five day maximum turnaround on cashing foreign checks also with no fees. I was surprised to find that Intercam gives 1.8% monthly interest on any balance in my account. 

Intercam told me 10,000 mil pesos at front desk. Out of my league. CIBanco was a preference but they told me 20 mil pesos at window. HMMMM.

well, i am happy with o'rourke, because i do not need more than a simple temporary place to save. Thanks again for all the input and suggestions.

im very happy with oruarke, i was at intercam for a long time and happy until a window teller at intercam tried to short me 1000 pesos. she did give me the money. i reported it,  and she still works there. then oruarke pointed out to me that the tasa 2 account at intercam, with a 25k min. balance was charging a .92% fee. i am not referring to mexican taxes withheld. i pointed this out to them, even did the calculations to prove it and they still denied it!!!! i moved to oruarke immediately. be careful.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I also opened an account on a tourist visa. 3000 peso minimum. 

Yes, Al Berca, I found it amusing also. You get a different story from every person you speak to at a given business, sooo Mexican and half the fun of it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 8:04 PM, El Saltos said:

IMHO, Banco Multiva is the best real bank around.  $1500 Pesos min bal avoids fees.  Talk to Clara, the manager.

I was just there last week and it was $1500p no charges if you had investment accounts, $1500p they charge you $30p a month, $3000p they don't charge a monthly fee.

Archived