Chapala.com Webboard

Deposit for car when entering into Mexico

RCman

It has been several years now since I brought in a car and picked up my Turista Visa sticker. I know I have to provide ownership of car, Mexican Ins policy, valid drivers licence and naturally our passport. There is also a fee or tax you pay and I seem to recall it has to be paid by CC. 

The question is how much is the fee and is it in US$'s? Second question is does it get refunded when you leave the country with the intention of returning to Mexico within a few months or do you have to pay the fee each time you come in? That sounds a little pricey.. Your experiences please..

PS: Does the fee vary on the value or age of the car?

And no, you cannot leave the car here and leave the country for even a short period.  When you leave, it leaves.  Make absolutely sure you follow the rules to a "T" and give yourself a few days leeway on the expiration date.  Spencer reports the government has turned car permits into another nice little revenue racket.  There is NO grace period.  When leaving you must have the sticker removed and present the ORIGINAL paperwork.  Get a signed and dated receipt.

Yes MC, I am aware that the car must leave in less than 6 months and yes I will have the sticker removed. However, do you have to request a refund at that time or can you leave it in the system for when you return to Mexico making sure you bring the same car back in?

You have to have the ORIGINAL ownership paper work for your vehicle,  I know this for a fact, a few years ago I forgot to put the originals back in my car,  NOB I would keep a photocopy in the glove box and originals at home. My vehicle was refused entry.  The official was very nice she even apologized to me, she said to me that if I had the same vehicle I drove in last year she would let me in, but couldnt let my new vehicle in with photocopies. I had to overnight the originals to my hotel in Laredo.

You get your refund automatic, no need to ask for a refund.  You can pay in cash if you wish, but it's a pain to get your cash back, much easier to use a credit cad.

If I recall the fee is listed in US dollars, but on your credit card they transfer it to peso, it was about 300/350 peso. Plus the deposit 

To summarize for the OP.....

The non-refundable fee/tax is about what TelsZ4 mentioned as I recall. The refundable deposit is $400 for 2007 and newer vehicles, $300 for 2001 to 2006 and $200 for older vehicles. If you paid it with a CC, you will get it back automatically on that credit card within 3-5 business days (my experience over maybe 15 TIPS and 5 years). One can pay in cash and will be refunded cash upon exit. I've not heard of any problems/pain getting the cash refund but have no personal experience with that method of payment.

You must remove it before you apply to become Residente Permanente, or you will have to go through the hassle and expense of getting a Retorno Seguro and having only a five day window to remove the car whenever the permit is issued. You will have no warning of when that may be.... or if it will be.

Best to plan ahead and get it out of the country early.

• 2 months later...

Yes you can obtain your TIP from the Banjercito website prior to leaving 'home'. After finishing the application the TIP will be couriered to your NOB address within 3-5 business days. That leaves one with the need to only get their Tourist Card (assuming they don't already have a Temporal Visa) when crossing the border.

The website right off will require one to click a link to get an Authorization Number, then come back to the TIP application. The application itself does not require one to get Mexican Insurance but of course that is required. That can also be acquired online if desired from several sources. 

The application will ask what border crossing you will be using and what date. My experience is that one is not actually required to use the crossing stated.... you can change your mind and inform no one. 

4 hours ago, dennis clark said:

Thanks you two. 

Also, my experience is that the website does NOT work very well with, say, Firefox. I get to a certain spot and then.... frozen. So I just always start out with either IE or the new Windows 10 browser. Haven't tried Chrome or Safari so can't comment on them.

By change of CC do you mean your CC has renewed in the interim and/or you lost it and the replacement has a different number? If it was me I'd call the CC company and ask what happens to a refund to the old number. It may be that the two are linked and the refund will just get redirected to the new account. Or the old account will have a credit balance that you can then apply to the new account. Either way I have to think it'll be easier than trying to get Banjercito to change their records. We've used the online format several times and have never had a problem and our refunds were always posted within hours of crossing back but I wouldn't want to do anything that disrupts the process. 

I agree with earlier post - I don't think it matters which border crossing you use as long as you go back to your originating country. When I rode my motorcycle through Mexico and I had to ask for a Transmigrante (sp?) permit which simply meant that when I left Mex it was to go into a different country that the one I entered from. Transmigrante is still an option in the online application so I'm guessing it's still the same thing 

Cheers

On February 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM, dennis clark said:

Can I do anything online for TIP before I leave to come down?

Why even bother getting your TIP online.. You pick a date for your 180 TIP what if you can't make it on that day..you get held up for whatever reason...you are using up some of your 180 days... 

The last time I crossed at Nogals there was no one waiting in line at the 21km check point, in and out with visa and TIP in 20 mins.

To each his own.....  but getting it online insures that one doesn't get all the way to the border just to find out that some piece of paperwork is not with you.... especially for first-timers who don't know everything like we veterans do.  :D

I don't think one can cross at Laredo in 20 minutes 'tho. Piedras Negras or Acuna, yes. Laredo... probably shouldn't count on it.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:21 PM, Mainecoons said:

And no, you cannot leave the car here and leave the country for even a short period.  When you leave, it leaves.

So, I come to Mexico on a Tourist Permit, with TIP, for 6 months, and then we decide we want to go to Cuba for 10 days to visit. And, when we get back, we want to go another 10 days later on to Guatemala on a tour bus. For both trips, I must first take the car NOB, return to Mexico, go get the car when we return from the trip,, take it out again for the second trip, then go get it again? Really?

According the the law.... really. Whether you do that or not is up to you. If you don't, whether you will get caught doing so is up for conjecture IMO. But you don't have to 'take it NOB'. SOB will work... but just out of Mexico.

I think you know that.....

Archived