Chapala.com Webboard

FOUND U.S. PASSPORT

The police are not our friends in Mexico. I would never let them in my house unless forced to do so. If you never develop this attitude then you have been very fortunate and I extend my congratulations.

In january 2011, in Tlaquepaque, my fiador(co-signer for rental), when asked what the number was for police, said "why would you want that/" I said, "well, in case of emergency."

and they advised me never to have them into the house unless forced to because they scope your place, etc. (to later rip you off). Well, I thought they were being preposterous, so i went to the police station and politely asked for the number so that i could post it by my phone. They just stared at me. it was obvious they don't often get that request. It took about 5 minutes and a few consults back in the office to figure out what number to give me. I then realized the fiadors were right, of course, they are mexicans. If I found a passport, last thing I'd do would be give to police. if not successful in finding owner, may give to US Consulate.

Archived