Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala to Laredo

Zeb

I just did a quick check for travel to Laredo.  Flying cost was outrageous.  I know I can take the bus or drive.  Has anyone found a good way to get there are a reasonable price?  Is flying just going to be too darned expensive?

On 10/25/2016 at 5:10 PM, virgogirl said:

TelZ4 , is that figure your round trip estimate?

Tolls one-way = 1,000 pesos  Mileage one-way = 1,100 klms    so those figures would have to be one way with a vehicle averaging about 25 mpg.

In my case, I'll be returning to the border to renew visitor visa in March, planning ahead. My former driver who I used to use here said to just take a bus up there and renew the visitor visa, don't worry about the TIP. I understood that you must return to the border with the vehicle with TIP to renew that and the visitor visa. You can't just show up at the border to get the visitante. Your vehicle will then be illegal. he told me it doesn't matter. 

Maybe I should start a new thread. But if anyone can tell me on this thread without issue if I absolutely have to take the vehicle up there., It's expensive and I'd have to hire someone. So we are looking at 5000 trip plus paying a driver. I do not want to make this trip alone. I hated the route.

"... if anyone can tell me on this thread without issue if I absolutely have to take the vehicle up there."

Don't know who you driver was, but he is wrong. Unless of course you want to have a vehicle in Mexico that is illegal and all that might imply.... and loose your $200-$400 deposit in the process.

The Temporary Import Permit is good for a maximum of 180 days. Look at your paperwork and it will clearly state that it must be removed from Mexico. The only way for you to keep the vehicle in Mexico past 180 days (this time) is to get a Residente Temporal visa.... and tell them that you have a TIP that needs to be associated with your new immigration status.

But....she cannot do that in Mexico unless she is married to a citizen or resident visa holder, which would allow her to use vincula familiar.

So......she and the car must exit and re-enter properly.

Zeb, I took ETN the first week of September. Roundtrip using INAPAM card,  cost was 1400 pesos! Bought my tickets and assigned seats at travel agent just before the light in Chapala across from Santander.  Of course, that was to Nuevo Laredo. Then I took a taxi to Laredo airport (600 pesos)  and rented a car for $33U.S. per day, taxi back to ETN in Nuevo Laredo.  Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, virgogirl said:

In my case, I'll be returning to the border to renew visitor visa in March, planning ahead. My former driver who I used to use here said to just take a bus up there and renew the visitor visa, don't worry about the TIP. I understood that you must return to the border with the vehicle with TIP to renew that and the visitor visa. You can't just show up at the border to get the visitante. Your vehicle will then be illegal. he told me it doesn't matter. 

Maybe I should start a new thread. But if anyone can tell me on this thread without issue if I absolutely have to take the vehicle up there., It's expensive and I'd have to hire someone. So we are looking at 5000 trip plus paying a driver. I do not want to make this trip alone. I hated the route.

In March there will be lots of snowbirds heading north, I  think it would be easy to pick up a ride to Laredo. 

5000 peso is just tolls and gas, you need to factor in accommodation, plus all the fees you are charged for your TIP and Tourists visa..

Thanks all. I knew the bad advice was what it was. It is sometimes a consideration to "go rogue". ButI know I won't. As all have said, I understand correctly that I have to return with vehicle. Understood that before I crossed the border but had to rule out "rogue behavior". Thanks again for keeping me on path.

31 minutes ago, virgogirl said:

RV, I know renewal of FMM is cheap, but how much to renew the TIP? Do I have to pay that big deposit every 6 months? I think it was 200 dollars deposit.

When you cancel your TIP at the border 'going out', the deposit that you made on this car will be refunded.... in cash if that is how you paid it originally or onto the credit card you paid with originally (within 3-5 working days is my experience). So, it is a wash... you get your $200 back and give them another $200 when you get the new TIP. 

(To cancel your TIP, you must present the original paperwork from when you got it... the paper sheet to which the sticker was attached. Without that paperwork, you won't get your $$s back)

Virogirl - certainly a conundrum which begs the question are you in the right immigration allocation?   As I understand it you're in a 180 day tourist visa.   Maybe you should move up to a full time class?    Reminds me of Canadian friends who used to come down to Florida every year but said they had to return at a certain time so they could comply with the system.   

Yes, to answer above. I had an RT-permission to work (green card) last time I was here. Easy to do that in GDL where I had worked many times in the past. The opportunities here at lakeside are less. Once I start a process toward the residential visa, this will no longer be  a big problem. After i work 4 years, no breaks in visa, then I can apply for permanente. By that time my current vehicle will be a ready to retire to other side of border. Right now, I want a vehicle, so must deal with what I have chosen. I've only been back 2 months, so still may be able to create an offer that gives me the work visa. I may have to move back to GDL to make it happen. Facing future so I'm ready for anythying.!

Archived