Chapala.com Webboard

problems with Bancomer ATM system

We've been trying for 3 days to get money from Bancomer ATM's, using cards from our BBVA bank in the US.  We managed to get a small amount in one attempt but otherwise were being told "request denied".  After talking to our NOB bank who said "nothing to do with us and we are not receiving requests for authorization", I finally got people at the bank in Ajijic to admit there is a problem with their system.  When asked when it might be fixed, Juan just rolled his eyes so I'm not hopeful that there will be a quick solution.  So - if you are failing to get cash out - it's not your card or your bank NOB, it's Bancomer.

We're traveling now ... and having problems with Bancomer ATMs in across the Sur Este,  Yucatan, and Q. Roo this past week.

We suspect that Bancomer (a purely Mexican bank) may not be playing nice with the big US/international banks,     possibly as a result of FATCA,   FBAR,   Know Your Client,   SWIFT,  and other US requirements. ??

32 minutes ago, snowyco said:

We're traveling now ... and having problems with Bancomer ATMs in across the Sur Este,  Yucatan, and Q. Roo this past week.

We suspect that Bancomer (a purely Mexican bank) may not be playing nice with the big US/international banks,     possibly as a result of FATCA,   FBAR,   Know Your Client,   SWIFT,  and other US requirements. ??

Isn't BBVA a Spanish bank?

Excellent point ... my bad.

USA's   BBVA Compass Bancshares Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of BBVA Spain,   so I was ASSUMING that BBVA Mexico does not directly have US branches.    As such, BBVA Mexico may not want to spend all the time, effort & serious $$ to comply with the USA's intrusive banking, finance, and money handling rules ??    

I propose this because our Mexican banks who have US operations,  like HSBC,   definitely have us filling out W-4's ...  W-8 BEN's etc ...   while BBVA-Mexico has not required us to  fill out any paperwork related to the US tax & banking rules.

I'm looking forward to other explanations as to why BBVA ATMs in Mexico have not been working with US cards for such a long period.

A week's outage across Mexico does not seem typical of a minor 'glitch' .

45 minutes ago, snowyco said:

A week's outage across Mexico does not seem typical of a minor 'glitch' .

I agree and I got no feeling from the local bank staff that I should expect anything to change soon.  It was suggested that I try other non Bancomer machines, which eventually I will have to do but I surely hate having to pay fees!

Also having trouble since last Friday but not only from Bancomer.  Multiva, HBSC and CiBanco also take you through all the steps but when it is time to count the money, it cancels the transaction.  My bank doesn't detect any ATM activity.  Oddly enough, the card works perfectly as a charge card. New card on the way but I'm not thinking it will make a difference.  

Maybe everyone was a victim of the big US server hack that occurred this week?  Reports said that many banks' systems glitched this week due to this nationwide hack.  I had no problems using my Bancomer card to get cash from Bancomer machines but didn't try a US card.  My CapOne360 debit card did work fine at the Banorte ATM at El Torito on Tuesday.

Worked at Multiva ATM after being refused at Bancomer, late this afternoon. Called my US bank, and  they confirmed that the problem is Bancomer's.

I have a Canadian card. Used to use Banamex but it stopped working there, switched to Scotiabank and it stopped working there, now Bancomer?! Anyone know who allows the largest amount of pesos to be withdrawn and/or charges the least service fee? We used to be able to take $18,000 out of Scotiabank and Bancomer would only allow $14,000. Gracias.

On 10/23/2016 at 8:40 AM, artsnob said:

I thought I would try  my BofA card with chip at Bancomer, declined, went to Multiva and it worked. giving money...so I think the problem is in Bancomer system

I was just at the Bank in Ajijic, where the young lady in the lobby said, rather weakly, that the system is being checked - but it's still not working.  I'm beginning to feel paranoid - is this deliberate on the part of the bank?

I have had the same problem as Bournemouth at Bancomer Bank. I called my NOB bank while at the ATM machine and they confirmed everything was fine on their end and that the proposed transaction was not even showing up on their end. I have used my card successfully at the other bank's ATM in Walmart and one in Chapala. My card has a chip.

Someone on the Michoacan Yahoo group says that a Bancomer representative in Morelia told him this morning that Bancomer is no longer allowing foreigners to obtain money from Bancomer ATMs using cards not issued by Bancomer.

Has anyone heard if this is a permanent policy for all Bancomer cash machines?

Is it spreading to other banks?

I'm not sure why people who live in Mexico don't open a Mexican bank account. It makes life a lot easier. If you are concerned about your money being safe, just keep a small balance in it, and have $ transferred down into it online. I have had a Mexican Bancomer account and an Actinver account for 15 years and never experienced any of the problems those who want to use their NOB cards here are experiencing.

I have read on the Michoacan_net Yahoo group that people there are having problems using their foreign ATM cards at Banamex and Bancomer ATM's.  According to some those two banks are no longer accepting foreign ATM cards, or, if they do, one is limited to a very small withdrawal, like 1000 pesos.  I can't say if this is a new bank policy.  It makes no sense to me.

On the same forum people have posted that they are able to use their BofA ATM cardz at Scotiabank and Santander banks with no ATM or foreign transaction fees.  I thought the agreement with BofA and those two banks was terminated several years ago.  Does anybody know if there's a new agreement now?  Not that it matters to me as I closed my BofA account then and opened a Schwab checking account.  I almost always use the HSBC ATM in Centro Laguna with that card.

5 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I'm not sure why people who live in Mexico don't open a Mexican bank account. It makes life a lot easier. If you are concerned about your money being safe, just keep a small balance in it, and have $ transferred down into it online. I have had a Mexican Bancomer account and an Actinver account for 15 years and never experienced any of the problems those who want to use their NOB cards here are experiencing.

Does it cost you to have money transferred to your Mexican accounts?

Archived