Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing the new pedestrian bridge at the Tijuana airport

AlanMexicali

I went to San Diego and Palm Springs at the end of last month and paid $16.00 USD to use the new pedestrian bridge. On the Mexican side they take pesos, $260.00, USD $16.00 or debit or credit cards. On the US side they take USD $16.00 or credit and debit cards, no pesos. You enter right from the baggage claim área at the TJ airport, well marked. They ask to see your boarding pass and you pay for a ticket. If you need to go to Mexican Immigration first instead of following the to the USA signs follow the to Mexico signs and walk a short distance to 2 INM desks and get a FMM card for leavng Mexico for free or hand in your FMM tourist card and get your passport stamped.. They asked for my RP card. Then exit/walk back there and continue onto the US side. They have seperate sides, one for entering the US and one for leaving the US, not joined. Both sides have stairs, 2 escalators and 2 elevators going up and the same going down. It is about 1/4 of a mile. The escalators have extra wide steps easy to put a suitcase on and go fairly slow. It exits at the 3 or 4 US CBP booths and then you pass through US Customs right there where they have 2 X-Ray machines and tables. I put my suitcase. no carry-on this time, on the ramp to one of the X-Ray machines and walked around and took it,  the officer never said anything.

Entering the complex to leave the US I needed a boarding pass to get a ticket to the bridge. They had 3 electronic printers in the lobby. Volaris, Interjet and Aero Mexico was available to print a boarding pass on them. It wouldn´t print so went to the 2 Volaris customer service desks in the lobby and they printed it for me, no charge. Interjet and Aero Mexico had customer service desks in the lobby also. If someone is picking you up or dropping you off on the US side they take a parking ticket and have 15 minutes to exit the parking área for free, after that they are charged.

At the end when entering Mexico the INM officer asked to see my RP card and passport, I asked is a passport card ok? He said yes. He took my 1/2 of the FMM card. He scanned my RP card and then scanned my passport card on 2 seperate readers and handed them back and said I could go through. Then there is 2 Red light/Green light buttons and 2 customs agents to pass through I got a Green light and they waved me through. Alan

11 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

What are the options for transportation after you cross?

The crossing is from Otay, no?  I haven't flown to Tijuana since 2008, but will in February.  Alan, your post was extremely helpful for understanding how the new bridge works. Pappysmarket has asked exactly the question I have.  Does the trolley go to Otay?  Are there taxis?  Does San Diego have Uber?  Will I need a friend to pick me up?

23 hours ago, More Liana said:

The crossing is from Otay, no?  I haven't flown to Tijuana since 2008, but will in February.  Alan, your post was extremely helpful for understanding how the new bridge works. Pappysmarket has asked exactly the question I have.  Does the trolley go to Otay?  Are there taxis?  Does San Diego have Uber?  Will I need a friend to pick me up?

I booked a flight out of Tijuana after our cruise ship returns to san Diego. I had not done proper research and was un aware that the CBX is 22 miles from the cruise port while Lindburgh field is only about 2 miles away. I have used the taxi fare calculator ant it shows a $74 fare from the cruise port to CBX.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a RELIABLE and less costly method of getting to CBX from the cruise port ? I would appreciate hearing from those who have actually travelled from downtown San Diego to CBX via public transportation be it shuttle, limo, etc.

Thanks

2 hours ago, twelveoaks said:

I booked a flight out of Tijuana after our cruise ship returns to san Diego. I had not done proper research and was un aware that the CBX is 22 miles from the cruise port while Lindburgh field is only about 2 miles away. I have used the taxi fare calculator ant it shows a $74 fare from the cruise port to CBX.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a RELIABLE and less costly method of getting to CBX from the cruise port ? I would appreciate hearing from those who have actually travelled from downtown San Diego to CBX via public transportation be it shuttle, limo, etc.

Thanks

I don´t know about transportation to or from the CBX. My buddy came for me and dropped me off. I do know that the cruise ship port is a short walk to the San Diego trolley line that goes/ends at the San Ysidro border crossing and costs $2.20 USD. From there a taxi could be available for I guess less than about $10.00 USD to the CBX about 6 or 7 miles east of the main border crossing, not the Otay Mesa border crossing which is about 10 miles east of San Ysidro on I-905.  I have taken the S.D. trolley late at night from San Ysidro and usually there are several loudmouthed  people riding it and has room for suitcases in several spots near the doors.

Archived