Chapala.com Webboard

Police shakedowns?

Denver

A sunbird friend of a friend sent an email yesterday about their drive a week ago back to Florida.  On Sunday, at 9am, she and her husband were stopped by the Federales about 15 minutes after entering the Guad by-pass (exit right after the airport to Zapotlanejo).  They started searching through their belongings when one of their dogs got riled up.  The Federales asked if the  dogs were dangerous.  When told "maybe" the Federales stopped searching and let them go.  They have Florida plates on their car.

This is the same area where Federales, or local police?, were stopping people a couple of years ago and "searching" and stealing valuables from gringos with US plated cars.

Has anyone heard of any other similar incidents on the by-pass recently?

THIS is MEXICO.   Some Police are Crooked, and some are Honest(altho, I believe a minority)   I have lived here 17 yrs and have paid enuf bribes to buy a nice used car.  The biggest was to the Federales in Autlan, when at a roadblock they confiscated my car "for not paying an annual tax.  I had all papers, copies of Law in Espanol & English,  but was told by the Federales that these papers did not matter, that they were the Law here.  I was taken to the jail , released same day, but days later , had to pay a LARGE bribe to get my car back & give testimony ,that I was guilty(at all times ,I was accompanied by a Mexican)

Lakeside, I have paid many , many bribes, and other areas also.  IF I am Guilty, I do not complain, but when innocent, they have the Power.

People think this is a 3rd world country, LOL.  I have gotten three photo speeding tickets in the last three months.  I was only going 93kph but in an 80kph zone on the way to Tonala.  It's pretty cool how they give you a break if you pay early and there are so many places to pay. Also, it doesn't reflect on your license like it did in FL.  Also, talked and paid my way out of a tow one time.  My car was actually off the ground and ready to be towed when I showed up.  I thought, at the time, that $850pesos was a deal.  I had no idea where the lot was in Chapala and it was a Sunday, as well.  Now, 7 years later, I have asked for tickets and just sent on my way with no mordida. It's all a learning process, and once you learn the system, you'll be fine.

5 hours ago, lumieretoo said:

18 years here full time. NEVER paid a bribe. Speeding tickets, sure but I ask for the ticket and pay it.

I would luv to see this tough guy in action. Easy to sit here in Ajijic and spout righteous things... Different matter when your miles from anywhere being stopped by Federales with guns who are taking your license plates telling you won't get them back until you pay the fine.. Then of course they offer to pay the fine for you if you give them money..  Now is that extortion or just a couple of friendly cops trying  to help you out... ?

Archived