Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting on Dog Poisoning Wed. 19th 6:30 pm Ajijic Malecón

Taaffe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, brother ! You poison my dog and I catch you , you deal with me ,not the police . God help the person that does this to any animal and I find you ! That's the way It's done in Chicago ,where I'm from ! And it works !  " South Side Italians "

Even with a leashed dog, it is still possible for Fido to pick up some item of food that is poisoned.  In any event, I agree the discussion here is not about leashes, but leaving poison out.  There are many poor stray animals on the streets and they have no owners to care for them or restrict then with a leash, so the lease situation is a side issue.  That topic can be another thread.

Insofar as accepting the problems here in Mexico, there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve things or solve problems.  Just because we live in a place that is different from our birth or citizenship does not mean we should tolerate cruelty or injustice and just be quiet.  We live here.  We pay taxes. We support the economy.  God gave the earth to all of us.  We should not have to be victimized and not be told we should not react to issues which are problematic.

Well, poisoning dogs is certainly a bad solution, but so is ignoring existing laws by pet owners. Two wrongs do not make a right. As a reminder ahead of this meeting, if you attend with your dogs in tow, please keep them on a leash, especially since you all know there is the potential for poison out there.

The cities I have visited who have solved this dilemma, did it by providing dedicated dog parks, imposing stiff fines on irresponsible owners, pet license fees, providing animal collection and animal destruction services etc. Wouldn't it be nice if instead of going in that expensive route (with so often an unhappy end for the stray animals), why doesn't everyone just decide to respect existing laws first, before the tax bill goes up to pay for all this?

A dog park operated by the users of it is a good idea, why not run with that idea as a starting point. Also, why not just respect existing laws; by stopping the perp who is poisoning, and stopping the dog owners who let their dogs off leash? Maybe speak with the municipal government about setting up a pet license fee to be used to finance such a park, and so users of the park pay for the park. Right now it is my tax dollar (yes I pay all my taxes to Mexico) and people like me who are paying to upkeep a Malecon many can no longer use because of so many unleashed dogs. A user based system is more fair to all. Volunteering and committing to be a part of the solution will help us build a better community. It is a start....

As Clara liked to say to Dr, Who when the situation was dire...."Just do it".

57 minutes ago, gcaschetta said:

Stop ! Just stop ! This thread is about a killer of animals ,not how to leash you dog ! This person must be caught and dealt with ! Who ever it is , is a sick human being , and needs to be put down like a rabid dog !

Just make sure you have enough firepower when you catch the perp or it may not be a happy ending. I trust your Chicago experience is all you will need. 

Post photos.

I didn't realize that presenting ideas for a meeting being convened to find a solution to a cyclical and horrific problem was so offensive. Perhaps my ideas may be too long term for you to grasp so if this is really how you all feel about this then best just lock me out M. and you guys can keep on keeping on.

Power to you.

23 hours ago, Ready Or Not said:

I do not understand your reasoning here....on one hand you say "The State of Jalisco leash law is posted on the malecon.  It very clearly states in Spanish and English the dog must have a collar and/or a leash"

on the other hand you state "For 3 years at the malecon, I have been walking, without incident, a very high energy dog that needs to be off-leash.  His energy is admired by all."

So its ok for your dog to be running off leash even though it is in contravention of the bylaw?  Perhaps all those other people who let their dogs run off leash feel the same way.

The law simply reads that you must have either a collar or a leash for your dog but if you choose you are allowed to have both.  My dog always has a collar.

There was a good turn-out at the meeting with a rep from Ecologia and two newspapers. The owners whose dogs were poisoned as well as dog lovers from Ajijic attended and were heard.

A substantial reward has been offered and flyers will be posted. Please call the police and Ecologia if you see pieces of meat with pink 'stuff' on it. Let's hope someone spots and comes forward with information so we can stop and punish this sick and cruel individual.

The meat has been chicken so far.

I gave the reward flyer to my gardener this morning. He is the head of the charros and will post it on their facebook page.

He tells me that three dogs were poisoned at the plaza yesterday and the man at the carneceria has pictures. He is not one to spread unfounded rumors.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:47 PM, ACLakeside said:

The law simply reads that you must have either a collar or a leash for your dog but if you choose you are allowed to have both.  My dog always has a collar.

PROTECTION ACT TO ANIMALS FOR THE STATE OF JALISCO

http://info.jalisco.gob.mx/sites/default/files/leyes/Ley_Proteccion_Animales_Jalisco.pdf

"Article 23.- It is forbidden to travel with pets in public places that are not
controlled by a collar and leash or other means to ensure the safety of
passersby and property."

Ready Or Not

"I do not understand your reasoning here....on one hand you say "The State of Jalisco leash law is posted on the malecon.  It very clearly states in Spanish and English the dog must have a collar and/or a leash"

on the other hand you state "For 3 years at the malecon, I have been walking, without incident, a very high energy dog that needs to be off-leash.  His energy is admired by all."

So its ok for your dog to be running off leash even though it is in contravention of the bylaw?  Perhaps all those other people who let their dogs run off leash feel the same way."

Wrong. Dogs must be on a collar and  leash,  just as RVGRINGO sumised

Archived