Chapala.com Webboard

Meeting on Dog Poisoning Wed. 19th 6:30 pm Ajijic Malecón

Taaffe

Since my dog was poisoned two weeks ago in the 6 Corners Neighborhood, I have been in contact with the police and the Director of Ecología, Rafael Aguilar of the Municipality of Chapala.  Many dogs have been victims of a poisoner who has not yet been apprehended.  Mr. Aguilar told me to set up a meeting and he would bring the authorities to hear our concerns. 

The last poisoner was caught and left town because a substantial reward was offered and publicized.  I believe this is something we can do immediately.

To that end I would like those who are dog owners, and especially those who have been victims, to come to the Ajijic Malecón (the amphitheater) this Wednesday19th at 6:30 pm.  I will do my best to get the authorities to come, but something has to be done as quickly as possible.  The horrible death that my dog had to endure should not happen to any living being; our canine friends deserve better from the human race.  Please spread the word.  Those who have been victims should contact Rafael Aguilar at 331-216-5892. -

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is horrible that dogs are being poisoned.   But I have to wonder - Are these dogs leashed?  Where are the owners while this is happening?  I notice so many unleashed dogs just wandering around and doing their business on the malecon (& elsewhere) & I always wonder where the owners are.  I have a dog too, but I would not impose on other people to the point where my dog was running loose.  I understand not everyone likes or feels comfortable around dogs.

Before we got our dog, every time we opened our garage doors, the same dog would come in and roam around our property & we would have a devil of a time getting the dog out so we could leave.  It became a bit scary because we knew nothing about this dog, and it was a rather big dog.  We didn't know what kind of temperament it had.  I wondered where the owner was & hoped that this dog did not meet a terrible death by some other person's hand who was not quite so amenable to chasing it around all the time.

One poster whose dog was poisoned said her dog was having a off leash "romp" somewhere on the Malecon when it encountered poisoned food. It died. Tragic, but it could have been avoided if the owner had obeyed the leash law.  I've ranted on this subject enough but, IMO, a concerned and considerate dog owner should keep the dog leashed in areas where the public is walking. As you said, not everyone is comfortable around dogs.  A good romp off leash can be enjoyed at the nearby dog park, where it is probably going to be safe from dog poisoners as well.  There are some mean spirited people out there, so if you care about your pet; keep it leashed.

Guest bennie2

the person who putout the poison could have been bitten by a dog. honestly this place is all about dogs who are a pain in the neck. if there is poison in a paticular location, dont walk your dog there. what will this meeting accomplish? more dogtalk? 

7 minutes ago, geeser said:

I wonder if people who support unleashed dogs wouldn't volunter to clean up garbage spread by those unleashed dogs tearing open bags to graze?

Don't give the kooks a reason to do their dirty deeds. Just pickup any litter and dog poop you see.

That would be nice, wouldn't it?  (Chances??)

Debate vs. info:  No debate, unless you are arguing for unleashing your dogs.  Info:  Yes! keep your dog safe:  leash it so it won't be eating poison.

My dog was poisoned this morning.  She was walking with me off leash at the bottom of Calle Revolution near the beach.  She grabbed something off the street and I was unable to get to her in time before she swallowed it.   Within 5 minutes she went into convulsions.  Within 20 minutes she died in my arms before the vet could get to her.  I am heart sick.  I always cleaned up after my dog and we were walking in an area where there were no other walkers.

Guest bennie2

drama queens. how many people let their dog go un leashed? what do you you think the "authorities" will do?? tell us. same as pickpockets, breakins, phone scams. mostly self made drama. as we speak, i see expats outside w/dogs off leash. dogs are not allowed in my house ever. i dont need a blow by blow discription of how nice he is, or he likes me, or hes excited, or he wants to play i. dont. care. (unless you are pushing 90 years old then ill listen). its foolish.

You can assume reasons behind these murders, night and day.  In fact, If I could relate to a killer, I would check myself in with a counselor.  Many a human is distasteful to us, yet it is illegal and unethical to dispose of them.. period.  

I cannot believe that these retirees did not inspect their future home and realize the unleashed Mexican dogs were a part of life here. Afraid of dogs, have been traumatized... go live somewhere else.  Mexicans never asked for you to come live in their country.   I hear from good sources/authorities that expats have been deported, due to poisoning crimes. It appears action is harsher on gringos, than Mexican when it comes to this crime.    

Guest bennie2

maybe the dog poisoner is mexican? FYI, expats are not the only ones who commit crimes. there is a leash law so i have read. maybe not enforced, but it exists.

I have been debating putting this info up as I am not a resident but was in Ajijic scoping out the place a couple weeks ago and I have no idea if this incident has any bearing on the situation. On Sat, Oct 1st. I was on the pier at the end of the Malecon in Ajijic near Bar Posada about 6pm. There was a colt tied to a pole on the east side next to the pier on the beach. There was a young man on a horse there earlier appearing to practice roping tricks but was gone at that time. Two pit bulls attacked the colt biting at the rear lower legs as the colt tried to defend itself. There were lots of people around and within a few minutes a woman came down from the street and appeared to take the pit bulls away. I don't know how seriously the colt was injured, if at all, as the dogs did bite the colt's legs several times. it was a very bad scene and the dogs would have definitely killed the colt if someone had not intervened.

We do not walk our dogs.  We are fortunate to have at very large property - our dogs love to run and roam around our property and we never leave them in the front yard when we are not home.  This seems to happen every year and it is beyond me as to why people do not keep their dogs leashed and close to them when walking.  We stopped taking ours out and about town as the number of expats with unleashed dogs has become out of control.  I am heartsick for those of you who have lost your dogs due to this sicko.  What kind of a person does this?  This could easily be a small child (who may be at the malecon with family having a Sunday picnic as our Mexican friends so often do)  What if the little child was a little hungry...................Perhaps it's time for more cameras around town.   This place is changing and not for the best.

In my opinion, anyone leaving poison bait intended to randomly kill pets has lost a key element of humanity in their makeup.  These sickos turn up everywhere at some point.  Obviously, they need to be found and dealt with. Those that take away an important part of peoples' lives need to have an important part of their lives taken way.   Like their resident visa. 

The State of Jalisco leash law is posted on the malecon.  It very clearly states in Spanish and English the dog must have a collar and/or a leash.   So, in fact it is being enforced because if the dog is wears a collar and being walked by its' owner, it is legal.  If the owner is not present there is nobody to pursue.  Yes, I hear the cry of 'Foul' but it is the law.

Most of the dogs being walked at the malecon are off-leash.  They should be, because that is the way they became socialized and became a  positive element in the community.   Also, if they are off leash they have better ability to take necessary action to protect themselves from loose aggressive dogs.  If people have an aggressive dog, common sense dictates the dog must be leashed.  

For 3 years at the malecon, I have been walking, without incident, a very high energy dog that needs to be off-leash.  His energy is admired by all.  I try to be very careful to pick up... and also pick up other deposits in arms reach.  There are people that don't pick up after their pets but they are few... still they give a bad name for everyone else.  

The major offenders are the stray street dogs plus those that are kept by someone but are released every day to wander the town on their own.   Keep in mind, feces is nature's most biodegradable substance.

Welcome to Mexico.  It is a package deal.  Let's just find the sicko.

2 hours ago, ACLakeside said:

In my opinion, anyone leaving poison bait intended to randomly kill pets has lost a key element of humanity in their makeup.  These sickos turn up everywhere at some point.  Obviously, they need to be found and dealt with. Those that take away an important part of peoples' lives need to have an important part of their lives taken way.   Like their resident visa. 

The State of Jalisco leash law is posted on the malecon.  It very clearly states in Spanish and English the dog must have a collar and/or a leash.   So, in fact it is being enforced because if the dog is wears a collar and being walked by its' owner, it is legal.  If the owner is not present there is nobody to pursue.  Yes, I hear the cry of 'Foul' but it is the law.

Most of the dogs being walked at the malecon are off-leash.  They should be, because that is the way they became socialized and became a  positive element in the community.   Also, if they are off leash they have better ability to take necessary action to protect themselves from loose aggressive dogs.  If people have an aggressive dog, common sense dictates the dog must be leashed.  

For 3 years at the malecon, I have been walking, without incident, a very high energy dog that needs to be off-leash.  His energy is admired by all.  I try to be very careful to pick up... and also pick up other deposits in arms reach.  There are people that don't pick up after their pets but they are few... still they give a bad name for everyone else.  

The major offenders are the stray street dogs plus those that are kept by someone but are released every day to wander the town on their own.   Keep in mind, feces is nature's most biodegradable substance.

Welcome to Mexico.  It is a package deal.  Let's just find the sicko.

I do not understand your reasoning here....on one hand you say "The State of Jalisco leash law is posted on the malecon.  It very clearly states in Spanish and English the dog must have a collar and/or a leash"

on the other hand you state "For 3 years at the malecon, I have been walking, without incident, a very high energy dog that needs to be off-leash.  His energy is admired by all."

So its ok for your dog to be running off leash even though it is in contravention of the bylaw?  Perhaps all those other people who let their dogs run off leash feel the same way.

Poisoning dogs is not the solution and it is against the law. However, poisoning the owners has come up several times amongst the neighbors. Where I live, the trash goes outside each home. There are 4 - 6 dogs that live in the neighborhood whose owners just let them out to run and they get into the trash every trash day and the neighborhood looks like a ghetto. My trash is inaccessible to the dogs, so I do not spend 30 - 40 minutes every trash day re-gathering the trash because the loose dogs have strewn it everywhere. But my neighbors do. WE know who the owners are and they have been spoken to and they just threaten you with having their police friends come after you and other just tell you to jump in the lake. (Not as kindly as I paraphrased as cursing is not allowed.)

Instead of telling home owners that they just have to live with little fluffy's behavior and feces everywhere and spend lots of money to protect their trash form other people's animals,  perhaps the solution would be to crack down on owners who let their animals terrorize the neighborhood and perhaps there wouldn't be any compulsion for the evil poisoners to even think about poisoning. 

When looking at a problem, most often your need to look at the root cause, not the effect.

I have spoken my opinion on here before about vigilante justice. When we have done everything we can to stop this the right way with no results , we have to take the law into our own hands , just like the Mexican priest, Miguel Hidalgo y Costillo did to start the Mexican revolution against Spain ! Us and only us really care about this and we have to stop crying about why Mexican law won't do anything. Lets get this worthless POS on our own !!

This post is intended for people who love dogs and want to find and remove a dangerous individual from our community. Those who have no interest in this matter can hold their peace. Please open another thread to discuss your views on leashes and other matters.  ç

Thank you.

Archived