Chapala.com Webboard

Poisoned meat on Ajijic malecon

This morning a young friend of ours took Sophie, our family dog, out for her usual walk near the Ajijic malecon, They came upon what appeared to be a sleeping dog. The dog was dead, and near the dead dog was what appeared to be some raw chicken topped with a pink substance. Before she could be stopped, Sophie ate some of the meat. She showed symptoms of being poisoned after only a very few minutes. Our vet said that he thought she had ingested strychnine; there was no hope for her survival, so I asked him to put her out of her suffering. Our hearts are broken. The unknown, monstrously cruel person who left out the poisoned meat probably never met our dog nor intended to kill her, but in doing so, he or she killed a beloved member of our family.

To the OP.  So sorry to hear of the loss of your Sophie.    There are so many happy, friendly dogs that enjoy their off leash romp on the malecon... it is distressing to hear of such malice.  Can you share with us exactly where the poison was place?

I am so sorry for your loss. This just saddens and sickens me to no end. What, as a community, can we do to prevent (or curb) more deaths from poisoning? One thing would be to teach our dogs never to eat anything off the ground or handed to them from strangers.

Sophie has had too high a price to pay for this ongoing issue, where irresponsible pet owners think its OK to let a supposedly beloved pet roam leash- less, and those barbarians who think it is OK to leave out poison as a response to the roaming dog packs that result.  Its like letting a group of 4 year olds play outside unsupervised in traffic all by themselves. I am so sorry for Sophie whose needless death highlights how even responsible pet owners are made to suffer by those who are not responsible. Where and how does it stop?

From another thread:

"Since my dog was poisoned two weeks ago in the 6 Corners Neighborhood, I have been in contact with the police and the Director of Ecología, Rafael Aguilar of the Municipality of Chapala.  Many dogs have been victims of a poisoner who has not yet been apprehended.  Mr. Aguilar told me to set up a meeting and he would bring the authorities to hear our concerns. 

The last poisoner was caught and left town because a substantial reward was offered and publicized.  I believe this is something we can do immediately.

To that end I would like those who are dog owners, and especially those who have been victims, to come to the Ajijic Malecón (the amphitheater) this Wednesday19th at 6:30 pm.  I will do my best to get the authorities to come, but something has to be done as quickly as possible.  The horrible death that my dog had to endure should not happen to any living being; our canine friends deserve better from the human race.  Please spread the word.  Those who have been victims should contact Rafael Aguilar at 331-216-5892. -"

Archived